Replacing all coolant hoses

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongojoe
Bongolier

Replacing all coolant hoses

Post by bongojoe » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi bongonauts. I’ve just been transported home by the AA with a coolant problem for the second time in less than six months. First time after a hose exploded just behind the driver’s door dumping all my coolant on the ground, this time for an as yet undiagnosed leak causing my coolant alarm to sound and the engine temperature to start creeping up.

I’m wondering whether it’s worth biting the bullet and ordering a full set of new hoses for my garage to fit? If so, should I get the set for the rear heater too? (I’m assuming that’s what caused my issue a few months ago and I think they shortened rather than replaced the whole hose.)
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Replacing all coolant hoses

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Obviously it would be nice to do, but, there's loads of the wretched things.

You would get peace of mind, and once fitted you'd only need to bleed once, so there's a saving.

Not definitive, sorry, just my first thoughts.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:56 am

There are other candidates for a coolant leak. Top of the radiator, waterpump seals, front/rear heater matrix, metal water pipes etc. Even an almost undetectable pinprick hole in one of the hoses.

I'd get the whole system pressure tested, perhaps using UV dye, and thoroughly inspected by someone who knows about the peculiarities of the Bongo's collant system and take it from there.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks. My garage have a bloke who knows his Bongos so I think I'll ask them to give give the whole system a really thorough going over and see if they can pinpoint any other looming issues. Sounds like replacing the hoses is only part of the problem (have certainly had a leak from a metal pipe previously).
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
TimmyCarson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TimmyCarson » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:39 am

"Thanks. My garage have a bloke who knows his Bongos so I think I'll ask them to give give the whole system a really thorough going over and see if they can pinpoint any other looming issues."
Lucky for you, my garage doesn't have that. Hahaha!

Return to “Techie Stuff”