TPS sensor adjustment - can't find ECU pin

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ali-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

TPS sensor adjustment - can't find ECU pin

Post by ali-bongo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:33 pm

I think the Throttle sensor in my bongo might need a little tweak. It's very keen to kick down, and holds on the gears a bit too long. I's not too bad, but doesn't seem quite right to me

I've seen posts here where people have measured the voltage from the TPS at the ECU,so I'd like to do that to see if it's in range. Also so that I can put it back if I mess it up :). But the connectors to my ECU look a bit different to what I've seen on posts here. I have 4 connectors: small white and grey ones on the top, and two yellow ones underneath, one larger than the other. It's a 2002 2L Petrol, so newer than the wiring manuals that are online.

This picture's not great, shows the small ones, and you can see the yellows behind:
IMG_0301.JPG
Anyone know which pin to test?
ali-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: TPS sensor adjustment - can't find ECU pin

Post by ali-bongo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:48 pm

Actually maybe I'm just misunderstanding the wiring diagrams. Been looking again, and think I saw somewhere that FE-E refers to the 2L petrol. So that leads me to this bit of the wiring diagram:
http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/bwmanualp.htm?1999/Page_90

Pin 2L (as mentioned in the other posts) is in the middle of a larger connector. So that would be an Yellow wire in the bottom centre of the large yellow connector. Presumably the Potentiometer labelled ATF is the TPS.

Will check all this out tommorrow
ali-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ali-bongo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Nope that didn't work out. My yellow plugs are 11x2 pins and 13x2 pins, but the ones in the manual are 8x2 and 10x2
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:49 pm

Not sure where your looking but this page has the details;
http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/bwmanualp.htm?1999/Page_34
Make sure which your looking at the ECU is in two parts the PCM above and the TCM below;
http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/bwmanualp.htm?1999/Page_92
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ali-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ali-bongo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Thanks for that, the PCM ones seem to match up with size of my two yellow plugs. The TCM ones look completely different though. These manuals are a bit cryptic :) I'll keep trying to make some sense of it
ali-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ali-bongo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 pm

Found the right pin, and got my readings. The parts index at the end of the manual was the key discovery! Thanks to g8dhe for putting those manuals online, really useful resource

On my 2L petrol it's Pin 2M on the PCM, orange and blue lead. I get 0.55v closed, 4.3v open when the engine's not running. When it is running the throttle closed voltage varies a bit but is always a bit lower 0.48-0.52.

I'm going to rotate the sensor a touch and see what effect it has on the shifting
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Make the most, most of the Browsers will be knocking Flash on the head come December :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”