EGR Blanking

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

robhho123
Bongonaut

EGR Blanking

Post by robhho123 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:58 am

Hi All

After reading on here about EGR blanking and speaking to my dad that used to blank them off on race cars as it's loss of power etc and really not
needed but obviously has to be done for emissions wise. I have opted to Blank it off to stop all the gunk getting into the inlet to hopefully prevent any issues later down the line. So my plan is to take the pipe of this weekend and draw up the blanks then cnc machine them, My question is does anyone want any at the same time as I might as well make a few at the same time.

Rob
robhho123
Bongonaut

Re: EGR Blanking

Post by robhho123 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi All

I've got round to taking EGR pipe of to measure so I can make some blanking plates and the amount of grime and oil
in the inlet manifold was crazy, I saw oil down the side of the engine and I can see where it's come from now the gasket between the
egr pipe and inlet manifold wasn't really doing a lot. I've attached a couple of pictures of the state of it. I have since taking of the inlet manifold
and pipe work so I can give them all a thorough clean out before it all goes back on to hopefully help it run a little cleaner/ smoother without all that gunk in there.
20200913_095709-min.jpg
20200913_095508-min.jpg
20200913_093324-min.jpg
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:12 pm

Hello
In addition to my bongo I have a diesel berlingo and following a fault light re sticking EGR valve, I had the EGR blanked off. Since being done the exhaust emissions during the MOT have gone down and have stayed down and the van has performed without any side effects. I did need the mechanic to remap the computer as otherwise I would have had a engine management light constantly on.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 pm

I think there’s no doubt the diesels run better with the egr blanked of I think the problem is the output of nitrogen particles or something similar once the temperature goes up is bad for us I don’t think the bongos run a particulate filter either to try to make it cleaner
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:01 am

Thats what servicing is all about, the IM has probably never been cleaned out in god knows how many years. Some don't realise it can be done. This should help your fuel consumption .
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm

Is there much to getting it off for access to give it a clean?
robhho123
Bongonaut

Post by robhho123 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 am

I've cleaned out the inlet manifold and inlet ports. Made some egr blanking plates and had it on for the past few days driving to work and bach and it's definatly more responsive not sure on mpg though will have to check it in a long run.
Attachments
20200914_200403.jpg
20200914_183219.jpg
20200914_183158.jpg
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:34 pm

Well done,now the poor thing can breathe again. =D> =D> =D> =D>
mickc
Bongonaut

Post by mickc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:30 pm

robhho123 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:58 am Hi All

After reading on here about EGR blanking and speaking to my dad that used to blank them off on race cars as it's loss of power etc and really not
needed but obviously has to be done for emissions wise. I have opted to Blank it off to stop all the gunk getting into the inlet to hopefully prevent any issues later down the line. So my plan is to take the pipe of this weekend and draw up the blanks then cnc machine them, My question is does anyone want any at the same time as I might as well make a few at the same time.

Rob
Rob,if you have any spare blanking plates I'd like to buy a pair if possible. I assume you had to remove all the injector pipes to remove the manifold, any pitfalls involved at all?

TIA.
robhho123
Bongonaut

Post by robhho123 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 am

mickc wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Rob
Rob,if you have any spare blanking plates I'd like to buy a pair if possible. I assume you had to remove all the injector pipes to remove the manifold, any pitfalls involved at all?

TIA.
Hi I didn't make any spares at the time, But I was planning on making a load in the next couple of weeks if you need some,
Yes you have to remove the injector pipes before you can take the manifold of, there isn't anything to difficult. I think the only thing that really
took the time was cleaning out the the inlet manifold and intake ports as it was pretty grim on mine a mix of carbon and oil.

Rob
mickc
Bongonaut

Post by mickc » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 pm

robhho123 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 am
mickc wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Rob

TIA.
Hi I didn't make any spares at the time, But I was planning on making a load in the next couple of weeks if you need some,
Yes you have to remove the injector pipes before you can take the manifold of, there isn't anything to difficult. I think the only thing that really
took the time was cleaning out the the inlet manifold and intake ports as it was pretty grim on mine a mix of carbon and oil.

Rob
Hi again Rob and thanks for the reply.

My inlet manifold is definitely manky with oil and carbon residue, I had the flex pipe off the end of the manifold last year and it really is badly contaminated.

If you decide to make more blanking plates I would like to buy a pair if possible, there was someone here on the forum who mades/sold them but they are now discontinued as it was said that blanking off the EGR was technically illegal!!

Thanks again.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:29 am

I realy dont understand why owners dont have this process ( Manifold Decoked) carried out EVERY 10/20 Years ,and instead illegally blank of the system .They are not doing the engine or the environment any favours , and of course their Pockets . :shock:
robhho123
Bongonaut

Post by robhho123 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Ok well I'll make some more anyway then it's your choice if you want to do it, at the end of the day your engine will run smoother and cleaner, I think your chance of getting in trouble for the egr being blanked off is pretty slim, found an interesting piece on a website about the legality of blanking the egr.

(Although it is not illegal to remove the EGR from your vehicle, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.)

Rob
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:14 pm

Yip blank it off, and keep it off the road, that makes a lot of sense, you are then helping people to breath better and feel better. =D> =D> =D>
robhho123
Bongonaut

Post by robhho123 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Just a quick one, The idea of a egr system is to take some of the exhaust gases and recirculate them into the intake to reburn partially burnt fuel to lower the NOx gases released into the air.
I think it a bit negligible how much this has an affect on the amount of NOx gasses are released as the egr system is not permanently recirculating exhast gasses and when it does its recirculating a small percentage of gasses expelled through the exhaust system, just like majority of ideas from car companies to try make cars cleaner they are generally a token more than anything. As it is generally shown when getting a car mot that has had the egr blanked off there has been no increase or mot failures due to increased NOx in the exhaust system.

Thats my two pence, not that it changes the law.

Return to “Techie Stuff”