vacuum or fuel

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

helen&tony
Supreme Being

vacuum or fuel

Post by helen&tony » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi
I have trouble starting. 2.5 diesel, new battery, new fusible link vac solenoids replaced complete, all vac hoses replaced/ or examined, new plugs last year ...only done a few thousand Km....Once started, slight cough, and runs perfectly. Banjo filter cleaned, no fuel tank vacuum, and prefers starting in the cool morning. When turning on the vacuum system does not pull the cold start throttle lever if left, but then again, it doesn't like starting on a hot engine?
Thoughts so far....vacuum pump kaput / one-way vac. valve, or possible fuel pump?
I would pop a new one way valve on to check, ...£70.00 ????...but not at that price ....Are there any reasons not to use a VW/ Audi one from a local shop, at one tenth of the price?
Any ideas?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: vacuum or fuel

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Slight cough then runs great sounds like vac leaking when parked but builds up and operates cold starts when vac builds Helen.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:32 pm

Do the solenoids or solenoid click when ignition on but not started.
Does throttle advance pull up throttle cable just after it has started and vac is building up, so working, or not. If it's holding vac overnight ect it should pull up throttle cable on ignition but not start.
Pipe off etc or vac pump diaphragm gone or arm stuck on side of pump if not.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:46 am

Hi Ady
That's what I was thinking...vacuum, but I can't see any damaged pipe, and I've replaced most. Vac pump diaphragm...Is there one in the actual pump?....the only exploded diagram I could find just shows slinging vanes ???....Can the diaphragm be bought, or is it a new / second hand pump?
Thinking along the lines of vacuum leak, I started it for a second, switched off, and it started first kick second try. Prior to that, the cold start advance cable didn't pull, but did so after the "mini start. During cold weather it is fine and the solenoids all work.... ah...nearly forgot....no clicks on the solenoids / mechanism when first turning ignition on, so it could be a crack opening when warmer?
Thanks,
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:22 am

No not vac pump diaphragm, the one on the fuel pump cable.test the cold start solenoids with 12 v and earth to make sure they are good.
Take off the vac pipe feed to make sure there's vac.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:26 am

Hi Ady
After I wrote that, I thought you meant the fuel pump....The solenoids are a complete new (S/H) set I replaced (from Bongobits) last year...I haven't done more than a couple of thousand Km since then...I looked at the suppliers of diaphragms earlier this morning...I can only find one...do you know any?...I may try this one: https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/bo ... diaphragm/
Plonkatronix
There is no electric lift pump on a Bongo diesel, , but I will probably get a new complete pump late this year, and get someone to fit it later (I only supervise nowadays)...swapping mechanicals is past my interest now, unless it's small jobs like the plugs/ stuff I can reach without breaking fingernails....LOL
I shall get the spannermen to work their way round the Bongo before next year, as I hope to do mid France and back, Covid permitting (for travel access) I might take a spare alternator, too...It's only 5000 km, so it's not a mammoth jaunt, but better get all things checked
Thanks, folks
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 am

Hi
Plonkatronix,
I am sure it will get sorted...The vacuum side of things seems a good place to start, and if no joy, I'll get a new pump...which I plan anyway...
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Techie Stuff”