V6 cranking but not starting - run out of ideas!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

willow2u
Bongolier

Re: V6 cranking but not starting - run out of ideas!

Post by willow2u » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 am

i think i would pull the head or heads of where the valve damage is visible if thats possible in situ with the v6 to see if the damage is just the valves or if its holed a piston if its just valve damage should be quite easy to put in somre replacement valves and bobs your aunty
Albatros
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Albatros » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Allans wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 pm
What do people think - is a replacement unit a sensible move? If so, any tips on what I should be looking for or what questions I should be asking? Of course buying a used engine comes with plenty of risk so I appreciate that there is no way I can be sure that I'll be getting something of quality.
I've both replaced and rebuilt V6 engines. You don't know exactly what's needed until you strip it down. That's why a garage can only estimate the cost.

The parts for the rebuild can take quite a while to arrive (depends what's needed) and be pretty expensive.

Replacement with a decent used engine is usually cheaper and can be quicker.

The trouble is, if you buy it and its faulty, the engine supplier can blame the garage. And obviously the garage blames the engine supplier.

So its easier if your garage will source the part for you.

If you buy a used one, look for one with a warranty.

Very sensible advice, thanks Allan.

I've had a look around and I've had a chat with Simon at Contract Mechanics in Harbury. He offers a refurbed v6 installed for £1750 (including sorting the LPG injectors etc). He sounded like he knew his stuff and seemed a nice bloke - can anybody here vouch for his work?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:28 pm

I've not used him, but he's been well recommended on here. 8)
Albatros
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Albatros » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm

An update for anybody who might be interested...

Simon at Contract Mechanics in Harbury, Worcester, refurbished my engine and made another small repair on the chassis and got it MOT'ed for £1880. He found all sorts of damage to the engine, not all of it from the snapped cambelt (something or other had melted in places), and now my bongo runs quieter than it has for years (it used to make a tapping noise when cold but it's very quiet now) and the emissions results for the MOT are far, far better than I've ever had.

He wouldn't take payment until after I had driven it home (200 miles) and I was very happy with it. He also offers a 6 month/6000 mile warranty. Overall I'm very impressed - Simon offers a top service and seems to really know his stuff. His garage is full of Bongo engines and there were Bongo galore outside. His price for a rebuild (currently £1750 is easily half what I keep hearing elsewhere). Top job by a top man!

Thanks again to everyone who posted on this thread =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 pm

His reputation has always been good on here so this is great to hear.

Congrats on Bongy being in such great shape. =D>
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Albatros wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm ... (it used to make a tapping noise when cold but it's very quiet now)
Interesting, I’d say mine falls into this category of being a bit noisy when cold, it’s due an oil and filter change though so that might help or I might too have some melted bits inside :D hopefully it won’t need rebuilding anytime soon
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm

A good quality oil filter may help.

I've an idea the cheap ones don't have a non-return valve so allow oil to drain over time leading to a rattly start up.

Return to “Techie Stuff”