V6 cranking but not starting - run out of ideas!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Albatros
Junior Bongonaut

V6 cranking but not starting - run out of ideas!

Post by Albatros » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post but I have been using this site for years. I have a 2001 v6 bongo with LPG conversion. its a JAL import & camper conversion.

We broke down on the M3 suddenly and without warning. No warning lights on the dash. Car cranks fine but won't start. I have been troubleshooting ever since but I have now hit a wall!

Working backwards I checked the spark plugs - no spark, then the distributor cap and rotor arm - no signs of excessive wear, then tested the coil - no spark there either. Using a mulitmeter I could see there was 12v going to the coil, but there was no signal leaving the coil down the other wire (I used this chaps very helpful video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYH49QGtoU). So next I located and removed the crankshaft position sensor and tested it with a multimeter (as per the same chaps other very helpful video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuzZJqQDf4) and confirmed it has resistance (1010 ohms) and also successfully generates its own voltage.

I figured the next step was to check earth continuity to the sensor, so I backprobed the 2 wires leading to the sensor (one at a time - I did not know which was earth) and created a local earthing point. But still it won't start.

That is where I am at. I am not sure where cable to the sensor comes from - is it the ECU? IF it is the ECU, where can I find it and how to I identify the sensor feed?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated - I'm meant to be going on holiday on Saturday #-o

Thanks all
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: V6 cranking but not starting - run out of ideas!

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:44 pm

Can't totally guarantee for a 2001 version as the diagrams only go up to 1999 but I doubt that there is a lot of difference;

You will need a Browser running and enabled for Flash to see the diagrams.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Albatros
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Albatros » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 am

g8dhe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:44 pm Can't totally guarantee for a 2001 version as the diagrams only go up to 1999 but I doubt that there is a lot of difference;

You will need a Browser running and enabled for Flash to see the diagrams.
Thanks for this - I'm sure it'll be useful once I wrap my head around it!
Albatros
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Albatros » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 am

I forgot a bit which might be important. I hooked up an LED to the OBD1 and got a P1521 fault code which, according to the handy Engine Diagnostics factsheet from this site (available from the members area), is a VRIS Solenoid '1' Circuit fault. However after reading this post (viewtopic.php?t=55204) I decided it probably didn't matter.

I'd be grateful to hear any suggestions. And if anyone can recommend a garage in Thanet, Kent that would be great too, thanks.

Return to “Techie Stuff”