Front washers not working...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: Front washers not working...

Post by JulesMartin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:54 pm

Apologies BongoBongo123 and Geoff. When I checked the washer wiring this morning I realised that the front pump has had some wiring replaced and has had a short extension lead fitted terminating in terminal block the same as the one going into the rear washer pump so sorry for misleading you. Something worth a try before you start chasing wires, when you have the washer bottle removed give the pumps a couple of taps to see if the pumps are just stuck up with gunge. Worth a try!
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Well of course I cannot just remove the plastic washer bottle easily, no... the leisure battery tray (battery removed) is stopping me from lifting it out (washer bottle has a bulbous bottom on it to get more fluid in and is trapped in by about 3cms by rear of the head light)... so now I have the choice of buying more tools (a long extension) to get to the low down tray bolts, 15 inches down into the engine bay or remove a headlight which will go out of alignment of course. I have WD40'd the 13mm bolts holding the stainless steel tray in.

Something that should be so easy, so frustrating already. It would be nice to be able to do a few more bits on these vehicles. So near yet so far. How difficult is it to get the head light out ? (looks like it will have to come fully forward by at least 4cms to get the bottle out.

Taking it to the garage to sort it already on my mind.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:06 pm

I might be back in business.. found a lengthy bar and a 1/2 inch one instead of 1/4 inch for more drive !
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:14 pm

Sorted.. got the lot out in the end, ceased motor freed up (dropped it a few times on coir doormat) and now working. Just to reassemble it asll tomorrow morning. Got a spare motor on the way for good measure. Not quite sure why the leisure battery tray was so big, very inconvenient to say the least.

Happy the actual problem was an easy fix despite slight logistics panic.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Well done. 8)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Thanks, yes my long extension bar was on my sump nut socket, wondering why I did not have one for a bit. I still need to add the short extension as well to reach 2 of the trya bolts, very difficult access. Not sure if it was corrosion of contacts or ceased motor,
either way it is now whizzing away when connected to the Bongo lead.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Does that fix work on a cheap door mat or does it have to be a posh one
🕵️🤭
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:41 am

There is of course always the slight risk it will go bad again in a weeks time but sounds fine to me.. whizzing nicely.

I dropped it 3 times 2 cms thick coconut coir doormat.. Maybe it was not stuck it might have been the severely corrode contacts (green and grey coated) and now bare brass/copper after a wet and dry sanding. Anyway just have to reassemble all in correct order re-clip pipes etc. today I will take it slow.. one thing about 26 year vehicles is to be careful with clips and knocking other items as you get things back in place as not to cause another problem on top of the one you just repaired !

For all the sensible approach I still have had most of the little problems that a Bongo owner has, central locking, window switches, door loom, multiway fuse, Diesel tank meter (earth wire), clicking odometer, washer pump,
( [-o< Don't want the stuck AFT one) had all those now lol...it's just the age really.. none of them are super complicated to repair.... now a case of the devil you know ! No worse than any 25 year old vehicle, and tonnes more fun and comfort, still a total pleasure to drive, you just have to have a little bit of time and inclination to do little jobs. I am slightly more confident with electrics than mechanics.

This year I properly POR15's painted the rear arch section, which still has not eaten through because of annual attempts at holding it back. If I had left it we would almost certainly be looking at new arches this year. I don't expect to see rust for 5years + now cause POR15 is the best anti rust coating I have ever used myself. I have never seen rust re-appear where I used POR15 so far.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:28 pm

All done and working with the old motor... also one bonus was spotting a surface rust patch on a horizontal surface that the washer tank mounts onto, now painted with POR15. If I took it to a garage that would have been missed so maybe a blessing in diguise. (My cheap rachet socket bar broke though, lucky I found my bar in my oil change bag)

Return to “Techie Stuff”