Bongo won't always select 'Drive'...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jaydog82
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo won't always select 'Drive'...

Post by jaydog82 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi guys, I have seen a couple of posts with this issue but hasn't been many updates or solutions to the problem. Wonder if anyone can confirm they found the cause or solution?

Mine is a 1995 2.5td auto tin top

So I just drove 1200k down to and around cornwall last week. The day after we got home I started the van, selected 'Drive', went to pull away and realised it was still in Neutral (selector was at D). Went back to neutral and back into Drive, it went into gear and was fine all day. Got in the van this morning and the same thing happened from cold but, again, seemed ok after that. I checked the fluid levels before my trip and it was fine and was still nice and red. I only just read a post about checking the fluid whilst the engine is running so I will check it again today after a drive.

Could this be the early stages of realising I need a new box or have people found a solution?

It may be worth mentioning that it has been driving around overfuelling for about a year after a poorly fitted fuel pump. I only just bought the van from my dad so I am going to book it in ASAP to get the fuel pump timing sorted. It burnt through a lot of diesel, had reduced power climbing hills and was chugging black smoke. I wonder if the extra revs have had any impact on the gearbox?

Any help greatly appreciated. :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo won't always select 'Drive'...

Post by g8dhe » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Might just be the selector cable has slackened maybe ?
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Yes, interlock cable is likely culprit. Eventually you will have problems starting. Here's an extract from the "Starting" factsheet in main website:

The first thing you should check, assuming you have an automatic gearbox, is the cable that runs between the gear shift and the ignition barrel. This is called an an interlock cable and if it has become frayed or detached the gearbox is fooled in to thinking that the vehicle has already started and, in some instances, it will not allow you to remove the ignition key. If you lift the centre console at the front righthand side you will see a small lever which attaches to the cable. You need to push it down and the key should come out and the vehicle should now start.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
jaydog82
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jaydog82 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:18 am

Cheers guys, i'll check it out :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”