Disastrous First Outing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tomd
Junior Bongonaut

Disastrous First Outing

Post by Tomd » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:50 pm

I bought a 2.5TD Bongo camper a few weeks ago, it drove faultlessly on the test drive, drive home and around where we live so today decided to go for a day out. The van drove faultlessly again for approximately 100 miles, a mixture of motorway and A roads then suddenly the engine stopped. I called the RAC who arrived and diagnosed fuel starvation, he could draw diesel with a hand pump from the tank via the existing fuel line to the fuel line to the engine and the engine would start and rev excellently but when he refitted the pipes as normal the engine would idle but cut out when the accelerator was pressed. Any ideas of why and how to fix it would be very welcome. Sitting at the side of the road near Skipton waiting recovery!!😪
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Disastrous First Outing

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Really sorry to hear of your bad luck. :(

Not heard of this problem before so, sadly, can't help - but welcome to the Forum.
Tomd
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tomd » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks for the welcome Bob, I've looked through the techie stuff and got a few ideas where to look so it will keep me off the streets (and roads) for a while
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:07 pm

How about the Banjo filter being blocked ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tomd
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tomd » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the reply and pic, after reading up on the forum that was one of the things I was going to look at.
It seemed odd that when the RAC man used a hand held bulb pump attached in the fuel line to draw diesel from the tank and push it through to the pump the engine revved perfectly.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:39 am

Try it with the fuel cap loosened.
Tomd
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tomd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi, I tried with the fuel cap off and it made no difference, I'm going to clean the banjo filter, renew the fuel filter and clean the filter in the tank as I've no idea if or when these have ever been done

Return to “Techie Stuff”