V6 Power Loss esp on Hills

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

TheLark
Apprentice Bongonaut

V6 Power Loss esp on Hills

Post by TheLark » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:50 am

Hi,
This is my first post, hope I'm getting it in the right place. And hello everyone.

I wonder if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having. I have a long term loan of a 1998 V6 Petrol

I dont drive it often but recently I noticed it felt laggy accelerating up hills and yesterday driving it for about 2 hours over the course of a day there was dramatic loss of power especally on hills at low speed.

Here are some things I have noticed - perhaps they offer some clues:

-Going up hill from a low speed/ halt it stays at low revs even with my foot floored and builds power very slowly if at all, once it has gained a little speed it picks up somewhat and behaves a little more normally.

-But even once it has started going its behaving erratically, going from a draggy 2000rpm and jumping to 3500 or 4000 if I put my foot down but not gaining much power - just a little.

-Its now struggling to go over 60/ 65 mph at all.

-It has been fine on the flat, but is now feeling slow there too especially accelerating from a crawl/ standing.

-It has developed a disturbing car shaking chugging sound on idle.

-Reverse has lost power considerably and there is a knocking sound coming from roughly where the exhaust outlet is while I reverse.

-I also think the fuel consumption seemed higher than normal.

Any help with this issue would be most, most welcome.
Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: V6 Power Loss esp on Hills

Post by g8dhe » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Welcome!

When was it last serviced, with fuel filter, oil and spark plugs checked/replaced ? Sounds like you might not be firing on all cylinders so a check of the distributor, rotor and leads as well might be in order ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
TheLark
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TheLark » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks for such a quick reply.
I got in touch with th owner and apparently the last service would have been "quite a while ago" so maybe a very long time. I'm booking one in with the local garage.
I have checked the fluid levels now - after a lot of googling and found that its been running with basically no oil, and the coolant in the expansion tank was below the min level - actually below the tube.... I have added oil and water - as I have no coolant.
I'll get the garage to check the fuel filter, spark plugs and the other bits you mention.
Is there anything else I should ask them to take a look at that might relate?

Also I'm going to take it to a general purpose, but reputable, garage is there anything specific I should consider taking a bongo to a regular garage?
Thanks fr you help -hugely apreciated!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:44 pm

You need to be very careful while playing with the coolant levels in Bongo's.
The system is pressurised to get better heat transfer from the engine, hence first thing is NEVER open the cap on the de-gassing tank when the engine is even warm! As the pressure drops it can cause the coolant to boil inside the engine!
If the coolant level drops below the bottom of the de-gassing tank then you need to be aware that it can introduce air into the engine and cause an air-lock which is why you see quite a lot of discussion on best methods of bleeding (the air) out of Bongo's when there is a coolant problem - the diesel is bad for this the V6 not quite so bad but still care is needed. One of the reasons that people find "Bongo" savvy garages who understand the system and its foibles!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 pm

TheLark wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:50 am Hi,
This is my first post, hope I'm getting it in the right place. And hello everyone.

I wonder if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having. I have a long term loan of a 1998 V6 Petrol

I dont drive it often but recently I noticed it felt laggy accelerating up hills and yesterday driving it for about 2 hours over the course of a day there was dramatic loss of power especally on hills at low speed.

Here are some things I have noticed - perhaps they offer some clues:

-Going up hill from a low speed/ halt it stays at low revs even with my foot floored and builds power very slowly if at all, once it has gained a little speed it picks up somewhat and behaves a little more normally.

-But even once it has started going its behaving erratically, going from a draggy 2000rpm and jumping to 3500 or 4000 if I put my foot down but not gaining much power - just a little.

-Its now struggling to go over 60/ 65 mph at all.

-It has been fine on the flat, but is now feeling slow there too especially accelerating from a crawl/ standing.

-It has developed a disturbing car shaking chugging sound on idle.

-Reverse has lost power considerably and there is a knocking sound coming from roughly where the exhaust outlet is while I reverse.

-I also think the fuel consumption seemed higher than normal.

Any help with this issue would be most, most welcome.
Thanks
Glyn
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Glyn » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:07 am

Did you ever solve this issue? I have a V6 petrol and am having similar issues
Eat Aunt
Bongolier

Post by Eat Aunt » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:31 pm

Glyn wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:07 am Did you ever solve this issue? I have a V6 petrol and am having similar issues
I went through similar with my 2001 V6, including engine cutting out randomly

6 new plugs helped ... but not solved ,

New Coil pack helped .... but not solved.... cutting out not solved

However after talking with George at Bongo Spares, my V6 runs like a dream now with a new Distributor-Driver... £280 plus around 20 mins at my Bongo friendly garage, runs perfectly now with some instant get and go when you put your foot down a bit.

Very happy now

Hope that helps

Ian

Black Std 2WD AFT

Reg: N...CBL (= Naughty Chimp But Lovely!)

Now 2001 V6 Tintop

Return to “Techie Stuff”