self bleed kits?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

AndyHeard
Junior Bongonaut

self bleed kits?

Post by AndyHeard » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Hi Guys

looking for peoples opinions on self bleed kits.
i have heard people mentioning 'rustys self bleed kit' and was wondering if its reliable and a part worth considering?

thanks
Andy
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: self bleed kits?

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Nobody has ever explained how the system causes the air in the engine to come out ....
Once it reaches the the three way splitter then an open bleed pipe lets the air out, which is the same place his system feeds the air back to the de-gassing tank. With the various bleeding process's described on here you vary the pressure up/down to help force the air out of the engine, with the bypass it just sits there waiting for the air in the system to come out on its own accord .... which is why its referred to as an air-lock, its locked inside the engine and needs something to happen to force it out. So I keep asking and get no responses, as to what causes the air to move out of the engine on its own ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:58 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 pm Nobody has ever explained how the system causes the air in the engine to come out ....
Once it reaches the the three way splitter then an open bleed pipe lets the air out, which is the same place his system feeds the air back to the de-gassing tank. With the various bleeding process's described on here you vary the pressure up/down to help force the air out of the engine, with the bypass it just sits there waiting for the air in the system to come out on its own accord .... which is why its referred to as an air-lock, its locked inside the engine and needs something to happen to force it out. So I keep asking and get no responses, as to what causes the air to move out of the engine on its own ?
I think many years ago on here when the cooling system was being studied in detail :- air is created in the system by various routes, the cavitation of the water pump being the most guilty, this air is circulated around the system as fine bubbles in the coolant. When the coolant reaches the header (de gassing) tank it gives up the bubbles as it passes through the many compartments within the tank. Also if there is a small airlock somewhere the coolant will absorb a little of the airlock as it rushes below/past.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:14 pm

I have one fitted to mine and essentially once fitted you bleed it basically by filling the rad first, then from the header tank squeezing the radiator top and bottom hoses to move it about, this is all done cold until "full".

Then it's a case of starting your engine and continue doing the same alternate squeezing every couple to 5 minutes until the systems up to temperature and until the bottom hose gets hot and you know the thermostat is working. That's basically it.

One note though, getting hold of a kit is a pain in the ass, Rusty seems a nice bloke but he takes ages to get it to you if he replies at all. I'd paid him over a month and messaged him 3 times before mine arrived.
'96 AWD 2.5 diesel with AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:30 pm

But that process of squeezing the pipes is the same for all methods during the filling stage. The bit that is not clear to me is how the air is extracted from the various cavities where it can be trapped see Steve Widdowsons excellent posts on the subject. Just relying on the flow of coolant has never been adequate.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
AndyHeard
Junior Bongonaut

Post by AndyHeard » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm

thanks for the replies.

i too have messaged asking about availability and how the system actaully works and have heard nothing back.

think i will just avoid it tbh.
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:08 am

g8dhe wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:30 pm But that process of squeezing the pipes is the same for all methods during the filling stage. The bit that is not clear to me is how the air is extracted from the various cavities where it can be trapped see Steve Widdowsons excellent posts on the subject. Just relying on the flow of coolant has never been adequate.
Dunno, all I know is that I did it like that and it worked well for me, just needed to wait until the next day 'til it all cooled down, recheck the level in the header tank and top up to proper level.
Mark Norton
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Norton » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:27 am

I copied an idea that was posted on here a while ago.

Feed the bleed hose up to the header tank & T in to one of the hoses their. I fitted an on / off tap behind the passenger footwell panel so it can be accessed when driving.

Bleeding the system is a doddle with this fitted.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:44 pm

So what did you do to move an air lock out of the engine ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Mark Norton
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Norton » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Just open the tap whilst driving along. :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:46 am

But that is no different from opening the bleed hose to let the air out! What is going to force the air that is trapped in the engine to move?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:25 am

Due to my disorganisation I ended up doing about 5 bleeds in a row I think due to wanting to flush it with some product when i did the belts and waterpump with the autobleed kit.

I think the 4th time I did it was when i did get an air lock as the thermostat didnt open and bottom hose stayed closed. When I thought back to it I think because Id managed it so easily the first few times I got cocky on one and filled from the coolant tank only until the coolant came out of the radiator then put that cap on and carried on filling from the coolant tank. I don't think I was as careful with the pumping and squeezing of the pipes either. I was really worried so did drained again and rebled more judiciously and filled radiator first then carried on from header coolant tank etc.

I honestly have no idea if the radiator / header tank filling makes any difference to getting an air lock but im my head I know next time I have to do it will remember. More likely it was my own cockyness and not being quite as careful that time as on the last time it worked perfectly.
Axsices
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Axsices » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:21 pm

So...
I’m thinking that, if the self bleed kit Pipe was removable at the bulkhead? I think it’s called?
You could seesaw with the bleed pipe then plug it back into a bulkhead connector.
Then you would have the best of both worlds wouldn’t you?
You’ve removed any potential air locks and if you spring a leak somewhere (coolant alarm should let you know)
Any air seeped In to the system will hopefully have made its way back up to the header because the kit is there?
Although, extra hose and couplings etc means more potential leaks...

Return to “Techie Stuff”