Anxiety over changing the cam belt - 2.5 diesel.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Donnie
Bongonaut

Anxiety over changing the cam belt - 2.5 diesel.

Post by Donnie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm

So, I have a new cambelt, pulley and spring.
I've so far in the last few months done the exhaust manifold / turbo myself, changed the 3 auxillary belts myself, blanked the egr off, bypassed the rear heater pipes, flushed and changed the coolant and bled everything, removed front bumper to replace crappy fogs with originals and fitted a bull bar (lets see who's first to shout "Fender defender") :D :D :D

So, why is it Im anxious about doing the cambelt? :-(

I've downloaded a copy of the factsheet etc and I seem to get a bit worried when it talks of the glowpugs needing removal and I think Ive read that people can run into problems here which does worry me.
'96 AWD 2.5 diesel with AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Anxiety over changing the cam belt - 2.5 diesel.

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 pm

We tend to worry about the unknown.

Sounds like you've done a good bit of hands on stuff, recon you'll be fine once you roll your sleeves up. 8)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:38 am

Donnie wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm So, I have a new cambelt, pulley and spring.
I've so far in the last few months done the exhaust manifold / turbo myself, changed the 3 auxillary belts myself, blanked the egr off, bypassed the rear heater pipes, flushed and changed the coolant and bled everything, removed front bumper to replace crappy fogs with originals and fitted a bull bar (lets see who's first to shout "Fender defender") :D :D :D

I've downloaded a copy of the factsheet etc and I seem to get a bit worried when it talks of the glowpugs needing removal and I think Ive read that people can run into problems here which does worry me.

You do not need to remove the glow plugs to change a cam belt, the reason some people might remove them is to turn the engine over easier, but it is not required and could lead to complications.
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 am

Bob wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 pm We tend to worry about the unknown.

Sounds like you've done a good bit of hands on stuff, recon you'll be fine once you roll your sleeves up. 8)
Yeah, logically I should be ok, i guess its the worry of getting the timing cocked up :shock:
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 am

rita wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:38 am
Donnie wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm So, I have a new cambelt, pulley and spring.

You do not need to remove the glow plugs to change a cam belt, the reason some people might remove them is to turn the engine over easier, but it is not required and could lead to complications.
I thought that you had to or you wouldn't be able to get the timing marks lined up though?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:55 pm

As I said....

If you realy want to remove the glow/heater plugs and it would make you feel better that is your choice.

Good Luck.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:18 pm

rita wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:55 pm As I said....

If you realy want to remove the glow/heater plugs and it would make you feel better that is your choice.

Good Luck.
Could there be any difficulty turning the engine over and/or getting it to stay put if there is compression in the cylinders. Given the risks associated with trying to remove glowplugs, is there a way (maybe a bar in the crank pulley or something like that) which could help if the engine should need to be turned and or held in place against compression.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Good Luck.
Could there be any difficulty turning the engine over and/or getting it to stay put if there is compression in the cylinders. Given the risks associated with trying to remove glowplugs, is there a way (maybe a bar in the crank pulley or something like that) which could help if the engine should need to be turned and or held in place against compression.

If you turn the engine using the crank shaft use a 38mm? socket or spanner, owing to the fact that only one cylinder at a time is at TDC there should not be a lot of compression if any ..
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:52 am

Good Luck.
God no, I dont want to remove them as the complications are exactly what I want to avoid lol!!!

I honestly thought that it wasn't an option.

So as long as I can turn the crank to get the marks lined up it should be basically follow the rest of the instructions on the factsheet?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Donnie wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:52 am

Good Luck.
God no, I dont want to remove them as the complications are exactly what I want to avoid lol!!!

I honestly thought that it wasn't an option.

So as long as I can turn the crank to get the marks lined up it should be basically follow the rest of the instructions on the factsheet?

Sorry I dont know what instructions are in the fact sheet but I am pretty sure it will be ok .
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Well sod it, I had a spare hour so Ive made a start but hit my first stumbling block, I thought the socket i had was a 38mm but its only a darn 36mm! dammit. One on it's way via amazon to arrive tomorrow so back at it then i guess.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 am

I would never normally bother taking glow or spark plugs out when changing a timing belt unless I was replacing them anyway, I didn't bother on the Bongo.
It's actually a very easy belt to change, just access that's a pain, a small mirror will help loads when lining up the timing marks, because your working from 'behind' the belt & can't look at it straight on its hard to see if the marks a correctly aligned.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:23 pm

could always loosen of bottom pulley bolt then get it jacked up take of belly guard and work on it from underneath looking at engine when i did my last one i think i just marked the old cambelt and pulleys then transferred marks to new belt and fitted it as it was without lining up any timing marks
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:07 pm

There is another way without a socket. if you remove the rear inspection plate located between the two front seats you'll see a small inspection plate on the top of the bell housing. if you remove that you can turn the engine using a large flat bladed screwdriver pushed into the ring gear teeth and by levering against the edge of the inspection hole you can slowly turn the engine over. I didn't have the right socket when i rebuilt my engine and used this method to align the timing marks. if you use a torch you will see the timing marks appear in the inspection plate stamped on to the ring gear and TDC here coincides with TDC on the cam and pump marks. hope this helps. I didn't remove the glow plugs and had no problems
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Well just wanted to update ye, I did it, well changed it the spring and tensioner and rotated twice as per instructions to ensure all marks still lined up and happy days!!

Im done for the day now though as its fiddly as heck and my old back can only cope with stuff in stages, tomorrow will be get the cover back on and get the engine turning over :-)

A big thanks to all on here though for their support and help =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”