Rear storage box that doubles up as an outdoor table and bench

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Nabil
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rear storage box that doubles up as an outdoor table and bench

Post by Nabil » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:55 am

Hi,

I bought a 2001 Bongo last week, and its heading to Northstar Conversion next week for a rear conversion. I have read everyone comments on rear storage and want to share my idea and get every one's thoughts, as I may think it might be a good idea, but maybe it's not.

Issue:
5 person road trip with rear conversion, pop-top and solar panel, no storage!

Criteria:
Need access to the tailgate for access to the rear kitchen, not regularly but when on a campsite or at the beach for the day.

Need:
Towbar – which one shall I get?

Towbar rack – Bak Rak base £150
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=105
Why?
1) Its folds up when not in use, where the Thule Easy Base doesn’t
2) It can take 85kg, where the Thule Easy Base can only take 50kg
3) Great price
4) Adaptable frame from making a custom base.
Ideally, I would like to find a base with a plate holder and lights, but I haven’t found a product that can take 85kgs, please point me in the right direction if you know of any?

Storage box – Lifetime 500lt garden box - £164
https://www.gardensite.co.uk/garden-she ... litres.htm
Why?
1) Lightweight, durable, big and affordable.
2) Lock – function but intend to add more latches for security.
3) I like the idea of the box doubling up as an outdoor table and the Bak Rak potentially being a bench seat, if I put a flat base on it.

Custom base and quick release straps.
So the storage box and tow bar rack can quickly convert into an outdoor seating area, I am planning to make a solid metal rack base in the shape of the box with some stoppers around the edge so it doesn’t slide when driving, then tie down strap clamps to firmly hold it in place.

In total this project might come to about £450, which I feel is reasonable for a storage solution and out door seating setup, please do let me know your thoughts, before I goahead with this?

Thanks
Nabil
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear storage box that doubles up as an outdoor table and bench

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:31 am

Be wary of the weight limits - its not the frame as such but what is safe for a towbar!
The limit is 85Kg, then subtract the weight of the frame, which is what Thule do, but not Bac-Rak it seems ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi, and welcome. 8)

I wouldn't use the bike rack for seating, you could easily double the 85kg weight limit, and sitting to one side will put a large bending moment on it. Likely damage the rack or twist the tow bar fitting.

Sorry to be negative. :)
Nabil
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nabil » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback, maybe scrap the idea of the towbar rack doubling up as seat. I think the focus is having the box double up as a outside table, and having easy access to the rear kitchen when the tailgate is open. It all about making the box easily detachable, using cam buckle straps.

Do we think this part is workable?
gilly99
Bongonaut

Post by gilly99 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Hello, the bak-rak mounted to tow-bar is a great piece of kit - very versatile and study.

I have both a space saver wheel and a large storage box mounted on mine. Access to tailgate is quick n easy. Link to some photos enclosed for ideas. Would agree with prior post that it does not suit being used for seating due inevitable asymmetry.

http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... ack%20Box/
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:56 pm

Nabil wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:00 pm Thanks for the feedback, maybe scrap the idea of the towbar rack doubling up as seat. I think the focus is having the box double up as a outside table, and having easy access to the rear kitchen when the tailgate is open. It all about making the box easily detachable, using cam buckle straps.

Do we think this part is workable?
I'd probably use quality ratchet straps rather than cam buckles, ie, not the £ Land ones. :wink:

Also woth a quick search on here, someone has recently posted some very good videos of his rear rack/storage box set up. 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:57 pm

gilly99 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37 pm Hello, the bak-rak mounted to tow-bar is a great piece of kit - very versatile and study.

I have both a space saver wheel and a large storage box mounted on mine. Access to tailgate is quick n easy. Link to some photos enclosed for ideas. Would agree with prior post that it does not suit being used for seating due inevitable asymmetry.

Neat pics, thanks. :)
Nabil
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nabil » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:13 pm

gilly99 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37 pm Hello, the bak-rak mounted to tow-bar is a great piece of kit - very versatile and study.

That's exactly what i'm thinking of, what is the mechanism you have to remove your box?
gilly99
Bongonaut

Post by gilly99 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi, I used the bak-rak clamp brackets - these are little stainless clamps that hook onto the frame to make things removable. Used for the number plate light bar and also for the box via a marine ply plinth bolted to the bottom of the storage box. Just simple unscrew the clamp brackets and turn the light bar or remove the box.

The brackets can be ordered from bak-rak. Incidentally, think there is a club discount from bak-rak.

If interested, the space saver is mounted to a RAV4 tailgate bracket from scrap yard, bolted to little stainless brackets that I welded to the bak-rak frame.
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.

Return to “Techie Stuff”