abs sensor

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JimmyB
Junior Bongonaut

Re: abs sensor

Post by JimmyB » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks for everyone's input again. The sensor is fitted according to the directions of willow2u and works a treat.
Just a couple of other points to be aware of,

1. It would appear that the sensor is coming from Germany, hence the £8 delivery, and has quite a lengthy delivery time (thanks COVID :D )

2. My sensor was very tight to get back in, I had to use a bit of persuasion by tapping gently with a hammer and blunt instrument on the metal fixing bracket of the sensor and a thin film of grease around the sensor body.

3. I had to drill out the sensor fixing bracket hole with an 8mm drill to get the original fixing bolt through.

A bit of a pest but well worth it for the circa £150 saving.

Again =D> =D> =D> to all involved for this fix.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:10 pm

I’m glad it works I’m not afraid to go outside now my sensor is a perfect fit maybe because my hubs were shot blasted and the clamp slides out enough to line up with the fixing hole. What connector did you use
JimmyB
Junior Bongonaut

Post by JimmyB » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:53 pm

I used the same connector as you did with the inserted piece of plastic to spread the connections
https://www.ebay.co.uk/ipp/263063123791 ... 675.l48352 .

The metal bracket of the sensor did slide out for me too but there was only a 6mm hole in it, I popped it off to see why the bolt would not tighten and realised I had to drill the larger hole.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:17 pm

Oh yes I forgot because my bolt snapped off taking it out I redrilled and tapped a smaller hole :roll:
Kaysee_sw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Kaysee_sw » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Just thought I'd add in my experience of this...

Diagnostic connector indicated front-right sensor fault, luckily it was correct!

Old sensor a pig to remove, came out in bits and the retaining bolt snapped.

New sensor went in fine (hole size different, needs a gentle tap to get it in), double layer of epoxy heatshrink over the top of the wire join, and a squidge of Sika to keep things dry. First test, ABS light went off as it should - very good news!

Test drive all good. Went up the notorious slippy muddy hill and stuck alternate sides of the van in the mud and stomped on the brakes. ABS appears to function as it should. New sensor seems a little less eager to engage ABS than the old one, but this isn't a bad thing - it was a little too eager all round before - might change the other side to match soon so I can stop quicker without all the new-fangled safety features getting in the way.

So in all, a success! Total cost <£15 and an hour of swaerin, all of which was getting the old sensor out.

Well done willow2u - think you may have saved a lot of people a lot of money!
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Glad to have helped 👍
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 am

Might be worth running a dremel around the hole to remove some surface rust mine were shot blasted and the sensor slides in lovely
philsteward
Junior Bongonaut

Post by philsteward » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:40 pm

Hi all, just wondering if there were any other sources for this wheel sensor? I note they are out of stock now on the previous link shown (probably all of us buying them for our Bongos!) and I don't seem to be able to find the same one on eBay.

Does anyone have the link to the one in eBay?

Or any suggestions from anywhere else?
1996 4WD 2.5d full side conversion with 6 seats & AFT
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 am

Looks like blueprint do a version
5259FE5F-4DF6-4A7F-B91E-8201CDBC6B40.png

Return to “Techie Stuff”