Rear power point wiring

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

RichRS
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rear power point wiring

Post by RichRS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:16 am

Morning. Apologies if this has been gone over multiple times. I have spent a while searching.
I’d like my rear cigarette lighter point to be permanent power, or at least on a switch. I was wondering if there is a good or easy place to cut and tap into it and what colours the wires are? I would run a new feed but I have a bed in the back and it would be a lot of work to remove the side panel. The power point will only be for charging phones so the stock cabling should be good enough. I’ll add in an extra fuse.
Edit to add I have a 2000 2ltr petrol if that makes a difference...

Many thanks in advance.

Rich
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear power point wiring

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:28 am

Its more common to fit a leisure battery and then use a Swap Loom to transfer all circuits you need (4 circuits) when static to a LB.
However, if you don't have a LB and don't really want the hassle it is possible to get at the wiring, but it means breaking open the loom where it comes down the nearside "A" pillar end goes under the dash. Personally I would run my own fused feed from the battery direct to the socket using the same route and then plug it in to the socket, this means if you ever need to swap it back its just a case of swap plugs on the back of the socket, one of the main reasons for doing this is the fact that the existing wiring is a bit on the thin side and hence a bigger voltage drop, when you run your own wiring use something rated at above 10 Amps and you will resolve both problems in one go.
Circuit and colour codes below;

the next page shows the loom route for the wiring.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
RichRS
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RichRS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:42 am

Many thanks. Yes it does seem like the more sensible thing to do. I’m just plucking up the will to remove everything from the back of my van now.. It’s either that or install a new point in the back of the centre console or something. Might be easier. Or a stand alone box. That way At least it’s non destructive.

Rich.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:47 am

Another route if its only for phone charging is to use a USB power pack which can be charged when driving and then used as a power source for charging phones etc. the Anker ones are good quality in my experience https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=usb+power+ ... _sb_noss_1
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 am

Hi Rich

Remember if you fit a socket into the centre consul it must be unplugged when removing said consul to access the engine.

Even if you remember it's likely a mechanic won't know it's there and it will get ripped out. :(
RichRS
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RichRS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:57 am

This might be a good shout actually!

I was thinking one of these just hard wired in on a switch.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2042311836

But the power pack is a good idea
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:08 am

Its got the advantage of being portable as well, I keep a couple in the van, charged and as I do a lot of photography I chuck them in the bag if I think I might have a long day and might need to charge or direct phones/cameras etc.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:53 am

Don't know if you've considered this but you could go underneath the vehicle instead. there is a vent just behind the rear 12v socket going to the outside world. it would save you ripping out the interior you'd just need to make sure you routed the wire safely as it would be the only wire outside the Bongo. Then you could bring it up to the battery and follow Geoff's advise of it's own inline fuse.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted

Return to “Techie Stuff”