Fuel cut off solenoid

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

HenryClarkson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fuel cut off solenoid

Post by HenryClarkson » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi all
I wondered if anyone can confirm if i can remove the fuel cut off solenoid without taking the fuel pump out???
It is running on after a decent run and wont stop when key is removed...
I might be able to clean it and put it back if i can remove it.
Thanks in advance.
Meant to say 2.5d 99 facelift.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: Fuel cut off solenoid

Post by JulesMartin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:52 am

I'm fairly certain that you can remove it without removing the pump but equally I would suspect it being an electrical problem rather than mechanical. have you check the wiring to the solenoid and feeds and earths when switching off? the fuel shut off soleniod is a hefty piece of work and you can feel it doing its job if you can get your fingers round it when switching the ignition on or off you will feel a definite clonk
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
HenryClarkson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by HenryClarkson » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:25 am

JulesMartin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:52 am I'm fairly certain that you can remove it without removing the pump but equally I would suspect it being an electrical problem rather than mechanical. have you check the wiring to the solenoid and feeds and earths when switching off? the fuel shut off soleniod is a hefty piece of work and you can feel it doing its job if you can get your fingers round it when switching the ignition on or off you will feel a definite clonk
Thanks Martin
I can definetely hear it clicking when ignition is switched on or off.
Voltage is also there when tested. Problem being that just sitting on driveway, engine starts and stops fine.
I might see if i can take it on a decent run and see if i can get engine to not stop. :shock: I could then check that there is power getting to solenoid at that point.
I figured that a hot engine would more likely be a mechanical issue than electrical.
Thanks again for help.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:55 am

If it doesn't do it when sitting still but does after moving that really does suggest a loose wire or dirty terminal somewhere
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
HenryClarkson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by HenryClarkson » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:12 am

That does make sense. I had read on another thread that the solenoid can be removed and cleaned and i thought id do that, if easy, before trying to find an electrical problem.
Ill check all of the obviuos connections.
Thanks again
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:22 am

It will be a mechanical problem, not electrical, when power is applied the plunger opens the valve against a spring, if the power fails then the spring returns the plunger to the closed position. If it gets stuck, then when the power is removed it stays open - which is the situation you have.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:26 am

Its quite easy to remove the solenoid , it could a perished seal or a bit of foreign matter .
HenryClarkson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by HenryClarkson » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 am

rita wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:26 am Its quite easy to remove the solenoid , it could a perished seal or a bit of foreign matter .
Thanks, i will have another go.

Thanks all for quick responses
HenryClarkson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by HenryClarkson » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:40 am

g8dhe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:22 am It will be a mechanical problem, not electrical, when power is applied the plunger opens the valve against a spring, if the power fails then the spring returns the plunger to the closed position. If it gets stuck, then when the power is removed it stays open - which is the situation you have.
That was my thought but would be good to confirm that engine keeps running when power supply stops to solenoid.
It wont do it now ......
Many thanks

Return to “Techie Stuff”