spare wheel query

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stunews
Bongonaut

spare wheel query

Post by stunews » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:09 pm

I have trawled here and the web and have some outstanding questions. I have a 95 Ford Freda 2.5TD.

My space saver spare tyre fell apart when I needed it most unfortunately. Got towed to quickfit for a new tyre. Now, the spare wheel itself is extremely rusty. Is it still structurally sound? Can I just put a new tyre on it?

I understand it may be best to get a new wheel for a spare, as a full size one will mean I can drive home at more or less normal speed on it rather than at 50mph. If I get a steel full size - what am I looking for? Front wheel is a different size from the back. Should I go with front wheel size? Tyre is 195/70/15? I understand the fitment size for wheel is 5 x 114.3

I'm looking on ebay with these specs and all I can find at this size are land rover wheels?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: spare wheel query

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Allan, Plymouth, has 2 wheels going free. Grab one by posting on the thread then sort out delivery. A Bongo Relay will likely work, you just post and ask if anyone is passing between the two towns, or you could pay a carrier.

Ian has a deal with one of them.

The steel wheels are the same size all round, just the tyre size is different, so I'd go for the larger one as it can be used back or front, although even a 195 will be much less bad than the skinny.

You'll be very lucky to source a space saver tyre, and remember if yours is 4wd it's vital that the tyre circumference is identical on all wheels.
stunews
Bongonaut

Re: spare wheel query

Post by stunews » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:21 am

Thanks Bob, hopefully he can hold one for me til next weekend when I'm down that way.. happy days!

Return to “Techie Stuff”