Android Stereo cutting out

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Stevievee
Bongolier

Android Stereo cutting out

Post by Stevievee » Mon May 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi all,
I am having an issue recently with the stereo in the van. It turns on and works fine, but as soon as I try to turn the volume up, all sound goes off, only the sound, stereo is still powered up. Checked wiring and all fine, although a little frayed into the connection block. It's like a safety cut off or something on the stereo? Could it be as simple as loose/frayed wires into connection block, so its pulling too much power through a badly connected wire. The stereo is a double din Pumpkin.
Thanks
Steve
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Android Stereo cutting out

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Normally any sort of cut-out like that is protection for the PA transistors driving the speakers.
If all your speakers are working OK, then its possible that they might have been changed perhaps for a different impedance which its not capable of handling ? If any of the speakers aren't working then you might well have a problem in the wiring somewhere.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 pm

g8dhe wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 pm Normally any sort of cut-out like that is protection for the PA transistors driving the speakers.
If all your speakers are working OK, then its possible that they might have been changed perhaps for a different impedance which its not capable of handling ? If any of the speakers aren't working then you might well have a problem in the wiring somewhere.
Yeah, it’s funny, all speakers working until I turn up the volume, then pop, nothing!! I’ll do some investigating
maxi_77
Bongolier

Post by maxi_77 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:58 am

Sounds like the output section of the radio cannot carry the load for the higher volume, could be a dry joint somewhere. In one of our CRVs the radio would go off with a pop at random, there was a Honda approved fix as it was a well known problem, the unofficial solution was to give the dash above the radio a good thump.
White diesel Bongo
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Turns out this has been a power issue. Central locking stopped and alarm bells started ringing (in my head, not literally). Plugged the van into main hook up and boom, all working fine again.
My question is... the stereo runs off the ignition, so not leisure battery. Plus we gave the bongo a good 30 mile run on Sunday after she’d been sat for a couple of week. Surely that should have charged both batteries. New starter battery from Bongo Spares only a couple of month back too?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 pm

A little surprising, but some people seem to get a very short battery life when idle and yet others can go months. Which leads me to suspect that there are parasitic drains on the battery you really need a meter to measure the current being drawn when the ignition is off, anything above 50mA needs understanding and anything over 150mA is of concern. But its not something that can be done remotely!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”