Roof not raising

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

marionw
Bongolier

Roof not raising

Post by marionw » Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm

I have just fitted a new battery to Bongie, other one was completely flat, just saying this in case relevant,but the roof will not raise.
I have engine running and handbrake on,light flashes and makes bleep sound when I push open button but nothing moves.
Ian has sent me factsheet on roof. I have run a plastic spatula round seal in case it was sticking, seems loose along sides, tight on corners but have run it along there, but no success on opening.
Can anyone, Geoff, suggest what I do next.
I have been out on a shortish drive to see if it needed that after battery having gone completely flat before new one was installed,still no luck.
Help needed please :(
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Roof not raising

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 16, 2020 3:19 pm

If its beeping after you hit the Up switch then the computer thinks everything is OK.
How long since you last used it ? The most common problem is the motors corrode up over winter if there not regularly used, this then poses a serious problem as you need the roof open to get at the motors! My normal missive is below, try the Up/Down switch routine because if this doesn't work then its a significant job to get access to the motors!
Make sure that;
The engine is running.
The handbrake is on and the brake light on the dash is lit ??
If the brake light isn't coming on, then check the little switch at the back of the handbrake (remove console) on passenger side they get dusty and dirty.

Now press Up the bleeping should start ??
If not then check the fuses (not likely but easy to do).
If they are OK and its bleeping, then check the rubber seal isn't stuck to the roof with age, run a card around to release it.
If that is OK then operate the Up then Down switch LOTS (50-200 operations!!) of times, it might be a dirty switch contacts or it could be corroded motors, by turning the motors even a little bit it might free up the corrosion and let you get the roof up. If so then drop out the motors at the rear and check for corrosion, there is a good Fact sheet if your a member of BongoFury on the process. Otherwise if the roof won't go up still then the is a method of lifting it but its not easy!

Finally mechanical things NEED to be used, it causes the oil grease to spread out rather than pool and helps to reduce corrosion. Don't leave things unused for months on end....

http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/default.htm
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Sat May 16, 2020 4:05 pm

I know it’s not much help now, but I put a reminder in my phone to raise the roof once a month throughout the year. Hope you get it sorted! [-o<
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Sat May 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks for that Geoff,
Will try up /down method first before other things.
Quick question, would beeping happen if it is the motors?
Is there any signal that points to motor problem?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 16, 2020 5:40 pm

Yes the beeping means that the Brake switch is operated and the Up button has been pressed at that point the computer operates the relays to drive the motors up, as far as the computer is concerned everything is working and its waiting for the signal from the Raised Limit switch to tell it to turn the motors off. So its most likely that the motors are unable to turn and drive the flexible cable up to raise the roof, by getting the motors to swivel to and fro you may be lucky and get the corrosion out the way, if so its best to get the roof up and then remove each motor in turn (propping the roof) and open them up for cleaning and replacing before moving to the other motor.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Have still not succeeded in getting roof up but now the beeping sound comes on as soon as I turn the key in the ignition, before I turn the engine on. I take this to mean that the roof has raised a tiny bit, not obvious looking at it.
Would you agree Geoff?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Yes that will be the situation, as soon as the motors have moved the roof a fraction the Down limit switches will have opened up and are warning you that the roof is "raised". I would suggest trying the Up/Down button as I say a lot of times and see as to when the roof moves a lot more!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Sat May 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Thanks Geoff,
Will sit there tomorrow clicking away.
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 am

I’m all working again.
Got in touch with a mobile Bongo mechanic,well known in the area.
He had a quick clean of the control unit, reset the Ecu and all was well. :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri May 22, 2020 11:45 am

Good result. =D>
ds8819
Bongonaut

Post by ds8819 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:14 pm

marionw wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 am I’m all working again.
Got in touch with a mobile Bongo mechanic,well known in the area.
He had a quick clean of the control unit, reset the Ecu and all was well. :D
What did he clean on the control unit?
How did he reset the Ecu?

Return to “Techie Stuff”