Cabin light fittings - can you swap the U shape bulb fitting for the straight bulb one?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

geoff46
Bongonaut

Cabin light fittings - can you swap the U shape bulb fitting for the straight bulb one?

Post by geoff46 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi, I've got a Bongo with a cabin light fitting that takes the U shape fluorescent bulbs. The bulb has gone, and rather than trying to get an expensive replacement or convert to LED, I wondered if I could swap the whole fitting for the older one which takes off the shelf bulbs? Looking at photos of the 2 fittings they appear to be pretty similar. Also if it is possible, then is there any downside to this approach?

Thanks in advance for any help.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Re: Cabin light fittings - can you swap the U shape bulb fitting for the straight bulb one?

Post by cwilliams255 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:50 pm

I’ve got bongos with both. Old straight tube was swapped out for LEDs internally a few years back but the whole light just swapped over fine in place of u-shaped unit. Only difference I noticed was physically the u-shaped unit on my newer bongo was a few mm wider than the old one but it was neither here nor there
geoff46
Bongonaut

Re: Cabin light fittings - can you swap the U shape bulb fitting for the straight bulb one?

Post by geoff46 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:01 pm

Perfect! Thanks for the info.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri May 15, 2020 2:02 pm

Geoff (g8dhe) posted some info that may also help you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77103&p=713124&hilit=Bulb#p713124
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services

Return to “Techie Stuff”