Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Midnight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Coolant Alarm going off!!

Post by Midnight » Wed May 13, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi,
Thinks for reading and for any help!!
I have a coolant alarm fitted by my steering wheel which was something added to the truck and not done by the manufacturer. It's got the test push in button that if pressed sounds an alarm and flashes and theres a screw / temperature gauge into the coolant bottle.....though the dam thing keeps on coming / alarm sounding and flashing but the coolant level if fine and I don't think it's getting warm - but its worry me and driving me round the bend!!

Anyone happen to know why? Also does this have anything to do with the oil level?

Thanks so much!!

M
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: Coolant Alarm going off!!

Post by JulesMartin » Wed May 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi, Sounds as though we have very similar set ups. my version has two screws in the expansion tank. could it be that your screw is too high in the tank and so when you corner the screw is coming out of the coolant? could it also be that the screw has corroded over time and now needs replacing?
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 13, 2020 3:50 pm

A common problem is that if there is any fresh coolant added it lays down an insulating layer over any metal parts to help resist corrosion .... this includes the metal screw sensors .... leave the cap on, wait for the cool of a morning and then with a wire brush to hand undo each screw give it a rub and screw it back in. Doing it cool will mean there is a small vacuum which will stop any significant coolant leaking out and the wire brush will clean up the screw so it can measure the resistance of the coolant again.
there can be other causes but start with that and whenever the coolant is changed or refreshed you can expect a similar problem.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Midnight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Midnight » Wed May 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Thank you both and I will try the screw cleaning first. I did loosen and tighten it as I read somewhere that might help but that didn't work. I also tried to get a new screw for it but apparently I need a particular screw as any old screw won't do! You would happen to know what I would need to order would you and hope this makes sense!!
Thanks again!
M
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Basicaly a stainless, pan head, self tapper, the same size as you have.

Cleaning with a wire brush should do, though. :wink:
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu May 14, 2020 3:55 pm

If you have a push button to test the alarm it’s not one of ours. The correct mix of coolant is a good conductor.
Very diluted coolant is a poor conductor.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 am

Most peeps think of coolant being antifreeze/ water mixed in the correct ratio , about 30% antifreeze...that is a good conductor, plain water isn’t and the mix would have to be very low for the alarm to sound , less than 10%,
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”