Leisure battery trays - should they be universal fit?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cwilliams255
Bongolier

Leisure battery trays - should they be universal fit?

Post by cwilliams255 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:32 pm

I didn't expect to making a post about a battery tray! However when I went to move my LB tray from my 1996 van to my 2001 van I noticed it didn't fit. The brake lines appear to have moved although strangely on the newer van they aren't in the clip that's in the same place as the old van so seems somewhat odd. Is something not where its supposed to be or is this where the line should be in and if so will all battery trays fit if I do buy one instead of modifying mine. I've attached pictures to hopefully illustrate what I'm on about

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure battery trays - should they be universal fit?

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:51 pm

After market trays and not to any standard, batteries come in all shapes and sizes, as the spaces inside vehicles come in all shapes and sizes. Its possible that the other items may have been moved previously. This is why I have a mantra of "measure the tray size and height allowed" when ever this comes up!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Bought the nice looking new Dawn one, same issue. Cut out a small section to allow it to fit, however the design of this tray doesn’t allow something like a varta lfd90 to fit properly as it sits too far forward. Also don’t like the fact that the bolts aren’t recessed below battery base either, not the best design in my opinion
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 pm

Maybe cut a piece of thin ply to fit the bottom of the tray, then countersink holes and use countersunk head machine screws to fix it down?

Should give a flat base for the battery to sit on. :wink:
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 pm

Bob wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 pm Maybe cut a piece of thin ply to fit the bottom of the tray, then countersink holes and use countersunk head machine screws to fix it down?

Should give a flat base for the battery to sit on. :wink:
That does sound like a reasonable idea however I just got out my biggest hammer and smacked it until there was enough of a depression to take up some of the bolt head height and then swapped for counter sunk Allen bolts.

Add in a bit of manipulation in the vice and some angle grinding and the battery tray is now much improved :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 pm

That would work. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”