Anyone know what these are?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Simmy
Bongonaut

Anyone know what these are?

Post by Simmy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi all I have just bought Bongo number 8!!

I have noticed on the windscreen across the top on both the left and the right there are 2 black contacts leading into a clear sticker that has what I can only explain as a cell,from the 2 black contacts are wires that have been run down the trims inside the window. I am confused as to what they could be. I am unsure how to add a photo. Any help would be welcomed.
nth
Bongolier

Re: Anyone know what these are?

Post by nth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:35 pm

As A guess without a pic could it be a DAB radio aerial? Many of these are windscreen mounted & some also require a power supply.
Best to try uploading a pic.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Simmy
Bongonaut

Post by Simmy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi thanks for your reply,I am unsure how to add a photo. There are 2 of these things on each side of the windscreen. They are approximately 10inches wide x 3.5inches high.
They are a clear sticker with a black thin line going through,the same as a rear heated windscreen has.
My radio has a crap reception so I think these may not be aerials but I may be wrong.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 pm

It could be a relic from Nippon TV from when it was in Japan.

Your radio reception will be hopeless if it's the original Japanese radio, they work on a mostly different waveband so you might only be able to get the shipping forecast. You can fit a band expander to make it work on normal UK frequencies, or just buy a UK radio.
Simmy
Bongonaut

Post by Simmy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:51 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. I have just spoken with Adrian at Japan Direct in Bury and he said the same. Japanese aerial.
I would be interested in the way of making it work on our FM stations. I do have an aftermarket stereo fitted.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:11 pm

The aerials are wrong size and type for the frequencies and radios used in Europe.
Whilst it is possible to add an external device to the radio to make it tune some of out radio bands, you will be disappointed by the results.
Much better to strip all the old Jap. audio stuff and aerials out and replace with after market devices designed for Europe, adaptors from the original Mazda wiring loom to the ISO standard plugs are available from eBay / Halfords etc.
There are two types of adaptor depending on year;
from 1995 to around 2000/2001 it is PC2-10-4,
after 2000/2001 it becomes a PC2-78-4

both types are available on ebay,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=+PC2-10-4
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=+PC2-78-4
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Simmy
Bongonaut

Post by Simmy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. I do already have the right ISO cables and an aftermarket stereo that works ok it's just the main aerial is broken. So the signal is bad.
I can fix it quite easily but liked the idea of having no aerial showing and using these but as you say they would be of a bad quality I will remove them.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:23 pm

If you have an AFT a bee sting screw in type is a good enough fix for the aerial, otherwise they can be had from the Bongo Shop and there is a Fact Sheet on replacing it.

Simple enough - I've done it (soddin') twice. :oops:
Simmy
Bongonaut

Post by Simmy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:50 am

Hi yes I do have the aft and it also has the dreaded "van aerial disease" :lol: snapped at the base. I have fixed mine before but I did it the easy way and tapped the remaining stub that was left and then screwed the new bee sting aerial in. I think I'm going to have to do the same again.

Return to “Techie Stuff”