EGR diaphram stuck

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

EGR diaphram stuck

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:42 pm

I'm testing the egr valve today to try to work out why I'm getting a code 16 (egr valve position sensor)

I have noticed that the diaphragm doesn't move under vacuum. I've applied vacuum, watched the diaphragm and stem closely and nothing happens. It seems to hold the vacuum fine. Would this mean that it's stuck closed and needs replacing?

this might also b e why I'm getting a code 16, because without the diaphragm rising under vacuum it won't move the position sensor ...

Any thoughts from fellow diy-ers?

Regards,

Adam
nth
Bongolier

Re: EGR diaphram stuck

Post by nth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:41 pm

With this type of EGR valve you should be able to free it off, Wynns do an EGR cleaning spray. Its designed to be used in situ but you can remove the valve & use it to clean it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wynns-Diesel ... 097f176cf0
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:44 am

nth wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:41 pm With this type of EGR valve you should be able to free it off, Wynns do an EGR cleaning spray. Its designed to be used in situ but you can remove the valve & use it to clean it.
Thanks for the reply, nth.

I actually had a can in the garage and have given that a go. It's immaculately clean now, however no change in the action. I can depress the diaphragm by hand, but it's not easy. I would imagine that it shouldn't be as difficult as it is. I've noticed that at 20psi the vacuum lets through but at higher pressures it doesn't. What sort of psi should the vacuum system put the diaphragm under?
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Just a little bump to see if anyone more clued up than I am knows whether there should be any movement of the EGR diaphragm when under vacuum pressure?

Return to “Techie Stuff”