Slow performance up hills

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

PaulD
Junior Bongonaut

Slow performance up hills

Post by PaulD » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:34 pm

I’m struggling with trying to find why I’m lacking power uphills , I’ve researched this forum and have looked at vacuum pipes to the fuel pump , I seem to have good pressure to the pump , I have cleaned the fuel banjo filter and replaced the fuel filter , I’ve had the turbo pipe off and seem to be getting good pressure from that too, though it did seem a bit smokey, but had no play in the shaft , I have flushed the gearbox oil too, cleaned the filter and the level is fine ,I do have what I believe to be the cold start switch, the unit is below the passenger seat but has been disconnected, the pipe that runs to the box section on the exhaust is disconnected, as is a vacuum pipe on the unit itself,, any other ideas or things to check would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Paul
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Slow performance up hills

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:51 pm

The valve you mention in the exhaust check that it's open, if it's stuck partially closed or closed it would be like sticking a spud up your exhaust giving reduced acceleration etc.
PaulD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by PaulD » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:51 pm The valve you mention in the exhaust check that it's open, if it's stuck partially closed or closed it would be like sticking a spud up your exhaust giving reduced acceleration etc.
Thanks for the reply, it there a way to check it the exhaust is open without physically taking it apart ?
Paul
PaulD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by PaulD » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:30 pm

Just had a look and I hadn’t noticed before but the flap lifts up to reveal the mechanism, took a picture but can’t up load it even when I reduce its size
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 am

If it’s a 2.0ltr Petrol like mine, it hates hills and protests by dropping down the gears to increase noise whilst slowing forward performance. Hopefully you get yours to improve :D
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:10 am

If you manage to get an uninterrupted run-up all is ok, if you get someone dithering and then slowing before accelerating up the hill, the 2.0 is usually left struggling and clawing it's way up in a very sedate fashion. Used to it now, time to admire the views :lol:
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:20 am

Our 2.5l v6 is no better, so by way of warning I put a sticker on the back. I've wondered if the performance is usual but decided my other car and motorbike (neither of which even notice hills) give me false expectations. We just call the queue behind us, our 'fan club' as they follow us wherever we go. Is there an objective measure of hill climbing, I wonder? I've threatened to do a 0-60 test, but it would just take too long......

(PS PaulD, using Postimage.org seems to solve the photo size problem)
PaulD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by PaulD » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks for the replies , mine is a 2.5 diesel , sorry I should of put that at the start , this is my second Bongo and I don’t remember it being this slow , will have another go at up loading the photo of the exhaust valve , thanks for the tip
PaulD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by PaulD » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:30 am

https://postimg.cc/K1q82HfR
Hope this works , if it has is this the fully open position?
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Flanners wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:10 am If you manage to get an uninterrupted run-up all is ok, if you get someone dithering and then slowing before accelerating up the hill, the 2.0 is usually left struggling and clawing it's way up in a very sedate fashion. Used to it now, time to admire the views :lol:
I’m based up in Scotland, so although the challenges are great the views are even better :?
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 am

Katka wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:20 am I've threatened to do a 0-60 test, but it would just take too long......
I did a very inaccurate one and had it someone around 13 seconds in my v6 which didn’t seem too bad. I have a diesel as well which seems better uphill but v6 is much quieter and gains speed in a much stealthier fashion

Return to “Techie Stuff”