Front door speaker replace / upgrade

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Merlot man
Bongolier

Front door speaker replace / upgrade

Post by Merlot man » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:42 pm

Hello all
I hope this post finds everyone safe and well .
Continuing the theme of working on the bongo in these strange times I'm looking to replace or really upgrade the front door speakers without really having to modify the door card or frame and I was wondering what people have done here ?
No matter how good my current speakers are they are the originals and 25 years old :shock: so there must be improvements that can be done , I have already sound deadened the doors and that does help .
I'm not looking for mad loud , just improved sound quality , the bus has an OK head unit and I don't plan to replace it
As always thanks in advance and stay safe
Brian
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Front door speaker replace / upgrade

Post by Doone » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:53 pm

There are so many posts about speakers but so few say which speakers fit. :shock: I only found one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74372&p=698500&hili ... 2A#p698578

It says the JVC CS-J620X speakers fit in the front door panels of the Bongo.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:03 pm

I will have to work out a way of putting up pictures as I am on my fourth set of door speakers. Had the JVC'S mentioned in the link then JBL two ways now on the vibe slick 6 components which are awesome speakers.
I am using the OEM speaker mounts after trimming them and adding an mdf spacer, and trimming the back of the doorcard.
I have put a post up showing everything I have done to my Bongo on Facebook and meant to do it on here 🚐
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks for getting back to me doone
I've found the same , lots of speaker treads but few as to what fits the bongo straight in .
It seems like the depth is the problem, one of the many great features of the bus , compact width !
I remember a good tread a while back about a really good speaker that fitted ........but or course it's been discontinued..... But of course I can't find it , it was a few years ago I think .
Mine aren't that bad but they are 25 years old , I was hoping to improve the sound quality.
Otherwise I'm modifying the door card and I don't know if I what to do that !
I'll have a good look at those JVC to be sure .
Thanks a million for posting
Brian
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Hello Winnie
That sounds promising !
Could you post / pm me some information on them as that could be a very good solution :D
The slicks "sound" like what I might be after , I'd like the door card to look stock .
Thanks ,all information appreciated
Brian
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Will email you Brian as I have it from the mx5 seats
I am on my second set of them now as fitted black cloth seats and now have heated grey leather ones 🚐
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:45 pm

great stuff man
I'd really appreciate that!
I've had to replace the mx5 seated ( heated , full leather :mrgreen: ) because I couldn't get to make it revolve . AND THE SEATS ARE GORGEOUS AND MINT ...AHHHH !!!
but I'll use them in one of the mx5's
Looking forward to the email
Brian
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:18 pm

Brian I have seen that someone has swapped the bases from his bongo seats to his mx5 seats so he could keep the swivel seat I tried adding pictures even a screenshot but doesn't work so will email them, but anyone on Facebook Bongo Owners Club can see them here

https://m.facebook.com/groups/252905573 ... 9775390733
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Back to the original topic a little Instagram post to show how I fitted JVC CS-J620X speakers in the Bongo doors and how easy it is 🚐

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ZqHcKJKl0 ... x7xjo8ebxv

Return to “Techie Stuff”