No.1 exhaust stud!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Donnie
Bongonaut

No.1 exhaust stud!

Post by Donnie » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Guess who just got to Step ? after taking delivery of a pipe wrench!

ImageIMG_3022 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3023 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Wasn't sure it was gonna budge at first even though I'd been plusgassing it on and off for a day, and just as I was going to get my son to put a bit of muscle on it, it loosened beautifully! :D

"Remove ALL BATTERY CONNECTIONS,
Remove Heat Shield,
Remove flexible U rubber pipe (Air Inlet to Turbo),
Remove large diameter solid plastic pipe that heads towards the rear of the engine to air filter,
Remove Hatch at the rear of the engine to gain access to the EGR Valve area,
Remove large diameter plastic pipe across back of head, towards Air Filter. Watch the connection with the Rocker Cover Breather and Vacuum pipe,
At this point it is advisable to crack the joint of the Exhaust Manifold to EGR 22mm metal pipe as this can be a pig to undo. Leave for a while pre-soaked with WD40 or similar. We had to use 24inch Stiltsons to remove. It was tight,"
'96 AWD 2.5 diesel with AFT
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: No.1 exhaust stud!

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:00 am

Well done they can be a real B - adun.
Just be careful with big stillies, hope you used it the other way up or you could have lost a digit or 2, probably just took the photo for effect, but for safety etc as peeps may be following your pics.🧐😉
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:12 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:00 am Well done they can be a real B - adun.
Just be careful with big stillies, hope you used it the other way up or you could have lost a digit or 2, probably just took the photo for effect, but for safety etc as peeps may be following your pics.🧐😉
You're right photo was for effect :D and I did indeed use it the other way as it "felt" the right way to do it, didn't realise though that there was a proper way so to speak #-o
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:31 pm

Your instinct is good.

One way the wrench tightens onto the work piece, t'other way it will open and slip off. :wink:
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:54 pm

Hmmmmm well Ive just been investigating moving on to the next step of undoing the 3 exhaust nuts which ive now soaked with plus gas.

Looks really awkward to get a socket and wrench on so guess it will have to be the impact gun tomorrow.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:31 pm

I maybe would use soft increasing pressure with a good fitting socket as advised earlier.the impact gun will snatch and maybe snap more,
They are usually brass or soft nuts on hard steel studs into ally head, all disimilar metals so they should come apart ok, stud to ally head can lock but heat usually helps.
Just a heads up on the studs, the inlet side studs are of a different hardness material to the exhaust side so when refitting make sure you fit the correct grade of stud.
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Ah I may not have been clear I meant the 3 on the joint between the turbo and exhaust, not sure what that joint is called.

ImageIMG_3033 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Got itchy feet, braved the cold and wind, and went for it and the ratchet gun made short work of it

ImageIMG_3029 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Hmmmm now Im stuck, how the heck do i get the nut off that stud at the back of the turbo??
Any tips?

Imageturbobolt by Donnie Canning, on Flickr
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:58 pm

In true bongo style I've managed it, a lot easier when you remember that you're actually tightening it up and not loosening it as it faces the other way lol.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:44 am

So it's righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, back-to-fronty... ;)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:03 am

Doone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:44 am So it's righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, back-to-fronty... ;)
you got it! :D :D :D :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”