Removing the EGR pipes

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Removing the EGR pipes

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Just had the EGR valve off again to have a look at why I'm getting a code 16 from diagnostics box (when plugged in for auto-gearbox diagnostics) and I can see that there are two big kinks in the pipes, one in both. This must surely be an area for build up of carbon from the exhaust recirculation?

I'd like to take the front one off, the one that sits on top of the inlet manifold. If i take the fuel lines off from the fuel injection pump to the injectors, I'll be able to get to it. Can someone talk me through any potential problems I might face when putting this back together or problems it might cause to the pump or injectors.

Also, the pipe that runs from driver's side to passengers side along the back of the engine bay doesn't look like it'll come out with ease, so I'd like give it a clean in-situ. Any ideas for what could be used? I'm thinking really long pipe cleaners or something?

Any help appreciated

Cheers, Adam
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Re: Removing the EGR pipes

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Or, does anyone know where I can get a blanking plate from?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Allan's, Plymouth, did them, not sure if he still does.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Hello there
I dont thinks Allan's do them anymore but they can be made up easily enough unsung two pieces of steel and the ends of the pipes as templates , blocked the exhaust EGR pipe using a 22mm plumbing fitting , works a treat .
The reason Allan's stopped supplying them , I think , was because your MOT requires them to be fitted and working , we still are not reguired to do that over here .......... Yet :shock:
My bus certainly improved after it was removed !
You could try and email bongo spares to see if they have any off the buses they break , make sure to explain that the bonus is for off road use only :wink:
Happy EGRing :mrgreen:
Brian
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Also taking off the fuel lines is not a big job , just make sure that go back in the same order , it's fairly obvious to be fair.
A brake line spanner is ideal as it catches the blot head better but a standard wrench will also work .
There us no pressure there so no issues on the front .
To clean the inlet pipe it really should come off There's a bracket on the very rear of the head that holds it in position and the best access to this is from the access panel in the rear of the engine compartment , under the centre console and carpet . It's held on with a number of 10mm bolts it will be oily as the breather pipe from the cam box cover vents into it , I blocked off the hole in the inlet pipe uepuing a bolt and some silicone and vented the breather into its own little bottle , and one shaving foam bottle as it happens ,I've heard of some people letting it just hang down and vent to the air and over the gearbox , but again keep the MOT in mind ! Either way cleaning the inlet pipe is a good idea as it will have oil in it .
Hope this is of soma help
Brian
SAN07976
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by SAN07976 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:49 pm

I am no expert on diesel engines but I would note the following:-
1) Removing the ERG is probably not legal and in any event who wants to create more nitrous oxides
2) The oily sludge is engine oil not diesel- This could only come from the turbo (in which case you would probably have a very high oil consumption and a lot of black smoke) or from the crank case breather. I think its most likely the latter. The crankcase breather leave the top of the rocker cover and carries oil vapour and enters the inlet piping before the turbo. I think it is likely that the increased pressure created by the turbo will cause some of this oil vapour to condense and it is this that collects around the 'elbow'.

I'd like to hear of the experience of people who have blanked off the ERG. Do they still get oil sludge in the inlet manifold / elbow?

Return to “Techie Stuff”