Heater problems and struggles with first gear

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBear
Apprentice Bongonaut

Heater problems and struggles with first gear

Post by BongoBear » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi all,

My bongo ('96 V6 AFT) has recently developed a couple of problems which I'm hoping you knowledgeable folk might be able to help with :wink: not sure if they're related or just happened to come at the same time.

First is a problem with the heating - it just blows cold air and never gets hot. The engine doesn't overheat and sits nicely at 11o'clock and I've checked the actuator rod (is that the right term?!?) in the passenger footwell and can see that moving fine. I've also checked a couple of the fuses (top row left and second row right) which look fine. Any ideas?!?

The second issue is that a couple of times recently the auto gearbox has been slow to work when pulling off (e.g. at lights). It feels as though it's about to stall which I'm guessing means the engine is engaging but it's not getting enough fuel (never had an auto before so just thinking about how it would be on a manual!). Have only noticed it happening with a cold engine. Choke problems? Jut guessing! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Heater problems and struggles with first gear

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Given that the fan appears to be working (all speeds ?) then it might be a blocked heating matrix, try measuring the temperature of the two pipes that feed the front heater matrix if both cool then it would suggest limited flow thru the matrix in which case a flush of the matrix might be sufficient, but be warned the plastic pipes may well be brittle with age and can fall apart on you! There are replacements available I believe and think I saw one mentioned being an all metal replacement but I didn't note the details .... :-(

Ah ha quick search https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293248946436
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:14 pm

Is the coolant level in the header tank at the correct height. They tend to drop a little through the winter even if there are no leaks in the system.this could affect the heater coolant flow to the heater matrix as it's near the same height as the expansion tank.
What's the temp like at the rear heater.
BongoBear
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by BongoBear » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:36 pm

Thanks for the replies - looks like it is a coolant issue so will get that seen to as soon as I can and hopefully all will be well again!

Return to “Techie Stuff”