Bongonaut

MOT failed - Wondering what this will cost me :-(

Post by Donnie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:26 pm

'96 AWD 2.5 diesel with AFT
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: MOT failed - Wondering what this will cost me :-(

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:21 pm

when you have a good look a that it's really all to do with welding so take it along to somebody who knows what they are doing for a good quote. there is a list of Bongo Friendly's on here. The rest of it is basically just adjustments and parts that you can fit yourself. I guess the deciding factor of if it is all viable is what do you think the van is worth and if it will be worth that much more having all the work done. Good luck with it all and let us know how it all goes
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:51 pm

Yes, well at the moment my plan is that it will be my only vehicle after October this year so it's gotta be right. Had a rough quote from bongospares but of course I have to get it there and it would be illegal to drive, their guy can pick it up but thats another £280 just for that.

I have though found a guy locally that does welding so ill have a chat with him this afternoon, looking at his website, reviews and facebook he certainly looks like his welding skills are pretty good to say the least!

So im thinking if he does the welding I can look at the other bits possibly?

Now to do some searching on how to adjust headlamps and first find where the upper antiroll bar ball joint dust covers actually are and then see if it's something i can do!
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Where is the van now? Have you got good pictures that you can use to get a few quotes?

I wouldn't bother with bongospares seeing as it will cost you that much to get it there.

It's literally just the welding you've to investigate - it's impossible to give you any advice on that from the one sentence description, it could be minor enough or it could be a big job. At least they've sprayed it for you.

The rest of the stuff is very straightforward.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:35 pm

If your local welder won't do it, you don't need to go all the way to West Yorkshire. This firm in Kings Langley do Bongos:

http://www.langleyautocraft.co.uk/car-b ... -bodyshop/
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:25 pm

got it booked in with the local fella for next tuesday, quote of 500-700 quid but gotta be done I suppose otherwise whats the point of having it in the first place, £280 than having it transported to bongospares so theres that.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:49 am

Donnie wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:25 pm got it booked in with the local fella for next tuesday, quote of 500-700 quid but gotta be done I suppose otherwise whats the point of having it in the first place, £280 than having it transported to bongospares so theres that.
Yup gotta be done. And rust doesnt rest and there will be more in times ahead (ask me how i know!). It could be worth asking the welder to keep an eye out for any other suspicious areas he spots and make a note so they can be revisited at a later date. Some areas to watch are behind front arch wheel liners (front of cills), around rear heater, up behind rear exhaust box heat shield, underneath behind rear arches below light clusters, front cross member underneath radiator. And the metal pipes near the rear heater (coolant, autobox fluid) corrode and puncture causing breakdown. But I've not regretted spending to have all these jobs done.
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:49 pm

Indeed Mike, my plan is to have the bongo as my only vehicle come October when the Nissan goes back, it's costing me £220 a month before diesel tax and insurance so thats over 2 grand a year which can soak up repairs and improvements :-) Not that Im expecting it to cost that much on a yearly basis!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Donnie wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:49 pm Indeed Mike, my plan is to have the bongo as my only vehicle come October when the Nissan goes back, it's costing me £220 a month before diesel tax and insurance so thats over 2 grand a year which can soak up repairs and improvements :-) Not that Im expecting it to cost that much on a yearly basis!
Good luck getting it sorted, and it sounds like you have the right attitude to be a Bongo custodian. They are rust prone, they are old, but they have design qualities and fun to drive factor I've not found in another vehicle. If you can start a relationship with a skilled welder who is with you in wanting to restore/conserve the Bongo then they are worth spending money with. Thats what I've done anyway and its worked well. I find that more interesting than selling and buying a newer one and also i like the features of my early split seat 2wd diesel.

Return to “Techie Stuff”