Rear diff issues... convert to 2wd?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

monkeyseemonkeydo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rear diff issues... convert to 2wd?

Post by monkeyseemonkeydo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Hey all, long time Bongo owner, on our second after getting the first in 2012. Our current 2.5TD 4x4 is having issues with the rear diff (you can feel the wheel jumping as something locks when turning corners, especially at low speed). My local garage reckons dodgy rear diff so I'm now looking at the best way to proceed. A new (second hand of course) rear axle assembly is looking like being £200 or so but not the easiest thing to get hold of and I'm wondering about two possible other options:

1) Is there any point trying to open up the current diff and trying to diagnose/fix what's there?

2) Has anyone converted their Bongo from 4wd to 2wd (fwd only) before and just sack of the powered back end?

Any thoughts?!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear diff issues... convert to 2wd?

Post by g8dhe » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:41 pm

I wouldn't have thought you would want to convert to front wheel drive - all the power will have to go thru the viscous coupling and the chain drive! Not sure its intended to operate like that for general use!!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:47 pm

Welcome aboard, have to agree with Geoff.

I've heard of people removing the drive to the front wheels without causing problems but I can't see how you could practicaly do it the other way.

I don't think fitting just the diff is that bad, likely a lot less work than replacing the whole axle assembly.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 pm

I’d just be finding a second hand diff and getting it replaced. I swapped mine out for an LSD (paid about £100) and a couple of hours of my garages Labour. Bongo was driving fine before but on inspection of the old diff the oil was like tar and there were some teeth missing.

Once you have the diff swapped you can always look at repairing the old and selling it on / keeping for spares but it will probably be knackered
monkeyseemonkeydo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by monkeyseemonkeydo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 pm

Ah, ok, thanks for the advice!! I'll have a look around and see what I can find. :)

Edit: I'd forgotten the Bongo is effectively mid engined. There was me thinking you could just disconnect the prop shaft and pull the rear diff out...

Found a rear diff only on eBay for £90 so may green that tomorrow after talking to the mechanic. Thanks all!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:29 am

Before you spend time and money just do a few checks, wheels and tyres are the correct size and that the pressures are even all round. Has it got a limited slip diff fitted, change the oil.chenge the VC oil too, these have clutch plates.
If you boot it out of a junction do you feel it Scrabble or skip on the inside wheel.

Return to “Techie Stuff”