Manually getting AFT down

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Habiba
Apprentice Bongonaut

Manually getting AFT down

Post by Habiba » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi,
Our roof is stuck up! We have checked the fuses, including the handbrake light fuse and they are ok. We have replaced the switch but that's not worked. Now I think we need to manually take it down and get her to a garage before anything else goes wrong. In the manual it doesn't make it clear where the motors are that we are meant to remove. Could someone please explain where they are?
If there are any other ideas as to the problem, that would be good too!
Before I stupidly put the roof up to air the top out, we couldn't open the drivers door, not sure if this is linked/to do with wiring? We cut off the inside of the door to get it open. Now the electric windows at the front won't open!

Thanks for any help!
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Manually getting AFT down

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Oh dear. :(

Do you get the beep when you press the button to lower it?

When you say the door wouldn't open do you mean the central locking wouldn't work, or was the door jamed shut?

How, why, which wires did you cut to get it open, and how did you access them?

When you replaced the switch did you clean the replacement before fitting it?

Sorry to ask a few questions, but it will help with diagnosis, and if you're near the northern part of Somerset I can call by and take a look.

Edit: Sorry, re-reading I see it was the door panel you cut, but likely the window wires are broken between the door and 'A' pillar, this shouldn't effect the roof, though.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:56 pm

Ah yes, the first question, have you pressed the button up inside the roof, by the interior light?

Found this old thread which may help, too:

https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... of#p403122

Some links in there to follow as well.
Habiba
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Habiba » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:43 pm

Hi Bob, unbelievable. I've got it to go down. The button in the roof was never a thing before we had this problem. The roof would go down without pressing it. Now the beeping is different as well, like a faster beep! Anyway, thanks for your help. Time to go to the garage! :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:59 pm

If you didn't need to press the button to lower it then likely the roof was never going fully up and locked.

When you raise it the beeping should stop once it locks up, although as they age it isn't unusual to need a little push to lift the last inch or so.

Really glad you're back in business. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”