0400, 1228 & the EGR

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Stevievee
Bongolier

Re: 0400, 1228 & the EGR

Post by Stevievee » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:20 pm

willow2u wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:56 pm Looking at the lush drawings the early design with the horizontal pushrod being converted to rotational movement seems like failure waiting to happen the later vnt looks more conventional Garrett design so should last longer just check that it all moves freely and easily
I have 2001 2.5 diesel, so newer model.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:05 pm

Update from George at Bongospares- Turbo cleaned, but he also found a faulty egr valve. This was replaced and fingers crossed this is what’s been triggering the fault codes. He more or less said if this doesn’t work and it turns out to be the turbo, it’s a case of scrapping the van as I wouldn’t be able to find a new turbo and if I did it would be at a cost of over £3,000. [-o<
Gandalf The White
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:31 am

Hi there.

I had a longstanding problems with our 2002 Diesel Bongo with the dreaded going into limp mode and glow plug light flashing once engine was warm and sat in traffic. I cleared all the old fault codes and found the two fault codes being displayed were P0400 and P1228. Spent hours researching this trawling for answers through the forums, FB groups and it's also well detailed on the Wastegate Actuator factsheet in the members section. It's obvious people have spent hours on this, but nothing seems to give a permanent guaranteed long term fix. After much head scratching I discovered Mark at The Bongo Master in Leicestershire, really good, decent, honest bloke, who knows Bongos inside and out, he has great reviews from all his customers. Mark immediately knew what the problem was. It's a known issue with later Bongos, due to combination of a change of turbo design and poorer quality grade diesel in the UK. Mark charges £600 to retrofit an older turbo from an earlier model and changes the relevant ducting and piping to go with it. The van then ran as sweet as a nut, with no loss in performance at all. Just thought I'd share, as it could save somebody alot of time, money and hassle in the future.

https://www.thebongomaster.co.uk/

Return to “Techie Stuff”