Roof stuck up

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

scottishbubbles
Apprentice Bongonaut

Roof stuck up

Post by scottishbubbles » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:02 pm

I have just replaced the motors in my bongo. Roof went up no without any problems but on the way down the roof has jammed on the passenger side and a metal band/chain is now hanging down. Anyone any ideas?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Roof stuck up

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:41 pm

Sounds like the Teleflex cable that drives the sliders has come free ...
The cable is attached at the top slider (permanently) it then travels down the guide to the motor on its own side, where a gear drives it to and fro, it then passes round the back of the roof to the other motor where it is also driven fro / to in order to keep both sides synchronised. It sounds like its come free from one end or the other, check that both motors are firmly mounted and aren't loose.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
scottishbubbles
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by scottishbubbles » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks have checked and one side had come free. Have resecured the motor but how do i get the teleflex cable back into position?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:26 pm

That depends on which end has come free!
If its broken away from the roof slider then you have a problem as the only example I've seen is that the cable appears to be moulded into the slider itself.
If its come free from the end that goes round the back of the AFT to the other motor in order to synchronize the two together, then drop both motors out, re-thread the cable and replace the motors, making sure both sides of the roof itself and the sliders are matched for position.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
scottishbubbles
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by scottishbubbles » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:32 pm

I think it must be from the slider. Got the cable back into the channel but roof on passenger side still not coming down. I need to manually push the the slider as the roof comes down

Return to “Techie Stuff”