Problem reading error code

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

costas
Bongonaut

Problem reading error code

Post by costas » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi guys,

Thought I would be posting in here for help removing the winter pack however this afternoon she seems to have developed an issue. Rather embarrassingly.... I can’t understand it!

She’s a 2002 2.5td. The following video is the error code from the coil light after I plugged in the jumper. I would be oh so grateful if any of you knowledgable people could please decipher the code.

Error accompanied by a dramatic loss of power.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0eGgWyx ... #Llanishen

I’ve looked at the blinking light a lot! And I’ve read http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm a lot!

Sorry to ask, any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Problem reading error code

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:04 am

The later versions send a 4-digit code not a 2-digit code, see the factsheet in the members area.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:18 am

Thanks Geoff.

I've trawled the fact sheets and can only find reference to fault codes in the Transmission fault codes sheet. This fact sheet talks about deriving the fault code from the hold light, not the coil light and I don't have the hold light flashing.

Have I missed the fact sheet you're referring to or is it the transmission fault codes sheet?

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:59 am

Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:30 am

Oh crikey. :oops:

Thanks Geoff. Bizarrely that’s the one that says I don’t have access to download, will email Ian.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:41 am

You probably need to login to the members area before hitting the link itself ...
Oops I see what you mean, even logged in its just refused me but earlier from the page itself it was OK ....
also download is the default rather than open as well which it used to be.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:08 pm

Clear your cache Ctrl-Shift-Delete and select correct option, looks like a change in rights hasn't made it to the cache.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Thanks for your help Geoff.

Ian responded almost immediately with the sheet attached!

Looks like it’s the wastegate fail open which looks like a bugger on the facelift versions :(

At least I’ve got a starting point now!

Thanks again.
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 pm

I THINK there is a 1228 in there but it was a hasty look between meetings.

Drove for 40 minutes tonight to bring it up again but she was beaut the entire drive. Can’t be disappointed, 40 minute smile on my face!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 am

There's a fact sheet about the Wastegate as well. It summarizes most of the stuff that I could find on this forum and elsewhere.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Ian, thanks for sending the diagnostic sheet through and pointing out the wastegate.

Finally understand how to read the codes properly! I have 0400 and 1228. Not optimistic, but I'll start with the information from Russia, I think.

This all started with my trying to fit a night heater but all this has led me to find the fact sheet on how to fit it to the later models, I'll take the small wins when I can!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Let us know how you get on.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Gandalf The White
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:41 am

Hi there.

I had a longstanding problems with our 2002 Diesel Bongo with the dreaded going into limp mode and glow plug light flashing once engine was warm and sat in traffic. I cleared all the old fault codes and found the two fault codes being displayed were P0400 and P1228. Spent hours researching this trawling for answers through the forums, FB groups and it's also well detailed on the Wastegate Actuator factsheet in the members section. It's obvious people have spent hours on this, but nothing seems to give a permanent guaranteed long term fix. After much head scratching I discovered Mark at The Bongo Master in Leicestershire, really good, decent, honest bloke, who knows Bongos inside and out, he has great reviews from all his customers. Mark immediately knew what the problem was. It's a known issue with later Bongos, due to combination of a change of turbo design and poorer quality grade diesel in the UK. Mark charges £600 to retrofit an older turbo from an earlier model and changes the relevant ducting and piping to go with it. The van then ran as sweet as a nut, with no loss in performance at all. Just thought I'd share, as it could save somebody alot of time, money and hassle in the future.

https://www.thebongomaster.co.uk/

Return to “Techie Stuff”