Petrol Webasto (V6)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Petrol Webasto (V6)

Post by DanBongo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone have any information on installing a Webasto petrol heater in the V6, I have read various posts about the diesel heaters with a few comments about the petrol ones. I would like to install a heater in my V6 and would prefer to use the on board petrol tank but have read various posts about "T"ing into the Fuel line..... and then posts saying this cannot be done due to the fuel system being pressurised by the built pump in the tank.... Other posts mention using a separate diesel tank for the diesel versions in the place of the leisure battery which is a vital piece of kit I couldn't do without.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Re: Petrol Webasto (V6)

Post by cwilliams255 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:56 pm

I own a diesel but having fitted a Webasto myself have a reasonable idea about work involved. I don’t however have much knowledge of the petrol bongo but having looked at lush projects diagrams briefly it looks like the petrol has a submersible pump in the tank? I would therefore surmise that tapping into the fuel line is definitely not a thing but no idea what you would need as I doubt a standpipe (like you would do on a high pressure diesel) is the right option either as it would probably end in a bang. I did however speak with a friend who does a lot of mechanical work and basically said avoid a petrol heater, fit diesel and separate tank on grounds petrol is just much more dangerous. Probably not the answer you wanted - if you remove the rear heater matrix you could maybe get a separate diesel tank there (will only need 5l) so you don’t have to sacrifice anything. Quite a bit of work though
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 am

Ahh yes I was coming to the conclusion this was not going to be a straightforward job.. when is it!!! I think a separate tank is the way to go.

A couple hours sitting in the van with my thoughts is needed I think!!

Thanks Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:40 pm

Or consider a Propex gas heater if you already have gas in the van?
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Yes I did have a good look at those too, I read about the reliability of them and leaking gas/carbon monoxide into the van especially our small vans being a problem? Then again I suppose all the heaters could be problematic for our health if not fitted correctly.

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:35 pm

DanBongo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 pm Yes I did have a good look at those too, I read about the reliability of them and leaking gas/carbon monoxide into the van especially our small vans being a problem? Then again I suppose all the heaters could be problematic for our health if not fitted correctly.

Dan
Did you get anywhere with this? I find myself in the same position having bought a V6 recently to replace my diesel. Tank placement is looking tricky

Return to “Techie Stuff”