Auto Free Top roof service

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

claresedgwick
Apprentice Bongonaut

Auto Free Top roof service

Post by claresedgwick » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi
I am planning a 4 month trip in my 1999 Bongo in May.
The roof is very squeaky and juddery when it goes up and down and requires a little push...
I have oiled etc but think it might be the motors? Is this likely?
Does anyone know where I can get it serviced in the Nottingham area
Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Auto Free Top roof service

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:35 pm

The struts that assist in raising the roof are called Gas Struts or Gas Springs they contain pressurised Nitrogen gas, which pushes out a the ram from the cylinder, the ram section is the lower smaller diameter section and the cylinder is the higher wider section. There are gas tight seals where the ram enters the cylinder, which has its own lubrication built into the cylinder.
You should not use any additional lubrication as it may affect the internal lubricants and also it may cause dust dirt etc to enter the seals which have a VERY fine tolerance in order to retain the gas internally!
It is only necessary to clean the outer section of the ram, a clean cloth wrapped around and pulled to-fro is adequate.
If the struts make a noise when moving then it is due to an imbalance between the two sides, possible the van is sloping, a breeze is blowing or the struts have lost some of the effectiveness after 20+ years. this also shows up as slower movement and needing a hand to push up the last few inches to stop the beeping. In which case this company can replace them for you http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot ... azda/bongo
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
claresedgwick
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Auto Free Top roof service

Post by claresedgwick » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Thanks thats really helpful :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”