Front passenger floor wet

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Beno
Apprentice Bongonaut

Front passenger floor wet

Post by Beno » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Good evening,

I have driven my Bongo a few times recently and at the end of the journey I have realised that the front passenger seat floor is wet. Does anyone know why this might be? And how to fix it?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Front passenger floor wet

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:08 pm

Welcome aboard!

I think the first thing to find out is is it water or coolant, the heating system coolant feeds are in footwell and have been known to leak. If its water rather than coolant, check the door seals and maybe the window screen seal. If still no obvious leak, then maybe get it dried out and then run a garden water hose carefully over the various external areas and see if you can spot where its coming in ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Beno
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Beno » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:21 am

Morning Geoff,

Thank you for your reply. I drove it yesterday and it wasn't raining so I think it must be the coolant.

Can you advise on how to get under the foot well floor and inspect / fix the coolant lines?

Many thanks,
Ben
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:35 am

If you have been loosing coolant then the coolant level in the de-gassing tank under the bonnet will have dropped, so if it is the case that will need topping up as well, if your a diesel then be aware of air locks etc if the level has dropped below the lowest level.
The front heater is behind the dash accessed from the passenger footwell see the pictures below for access etc.
www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/Paul_Horsfal ... placement/
Best to pop the glove box out as well, just push the sides in to get past the rubber stops and then drop down and it slides of the pivots.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Beno
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Beno » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Geoff,
Thank you very much for that and the pictures. I can't get to my Bongo until next week but when I do I'll have a dig around and see what I can see. Will report back! :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 pm

Fingers crossed for you. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”