EGR mystery ...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Re: EGR mystery ...

Post by sotal » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:34 am

I'll read through this properly when I get a minute but just wanted to add that I looked into these vacuum valves/solenoids on mine when to see if I could improve the white smoke on startup that I get. I found my solenoids to be unplugged electrically and the one way valve was snapped so the house that goes to it was just going to normal atmosphere.

I replaced the valve, checked the hoses and plugged it all back in. It made no difference to mine!

However mine had been through two mots with the solenoids unplugged and has been through three since with them plugged in. It seemed to make no difference to the mot what so ever.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 am

I asked Allan (from Allans Vehicle Services) to take a look and he said the first thing is to make sure all pipes / vacuum pipes are connected up correctly. Then if it still runs like a bag of nails, you could put an egr blanking plate on the front of the manifold, where the 2 x 10ml headed bolts are. Interference with the egr is now discouraged with the newer MOT test rules, but it's a grey area.
He's seen this problem a couple of times and blanking solved it, if a cheap fix is needed. But it's usually an egr related fault, either electronic, ecu or the diaphragm.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 pm

JulesMartin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:35 am glad to be of help
So I followed you're instructions, managed to plug everything in where it should be, with the exception of the one way valve going to the air intake, and it worked beautifully!

I have a small issue in that I need to replace some of the parts, that have become brittle. Mainly some of the vacuum pipes. Where can I get actual genuine replacements? I've got the part numbers from the lushproject webpages.

Cheers,

Adam
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:49 pm

In all likelihood they will have to come from Japan. I'm just about to order some other stuff so if you email me the part numbers you will save on postage costs. [email protected].
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:54 am

MyBongoiscalledDave wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 pm
So I followed you're instructions, managed to plug everything in where it should be, with the exception of the one way valve going to the air intake, and it worked beautifully!

I have a small issue in that I need to replace some of the parts, that have become brittle. Mainly some of the vacuum pipes. Where can I get actual genuine replacements? I've got the part numbers from the lushproject webpages.

Cheers,

Adam
That's brilliant news glad it worked out for you. In the interim Halfords sell Vacuum hose in metre lengths. They also do a blue silicone pipe which is quite dear at £14 but is very flexible and will bend well without kinking. would get you by until the original parts arrive. you can just about see in a couple of the pics that I've used it for the spill return and another of the longer vacuum runs. It slips on easier than the standard hose as well which is useful as it's quite cramped and tight under the inlet manifold. The screen washer one way valve I used to replace the original green one also came from there. I know what we all think about Halfords but they will get you by at a pinch.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:07 am

Ian wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:49 pm In all likelihood they will have to come from Japan. I'm just about to order some other stuff so if you email me the part numbers you will save on postage costs. [email protected].
Amazing timing! Let me get in on that order.

Part numbers;

93-5104 x 1 vac pipe (170mm)
93-5104 x 1 vac pipe (220mm)
93-5104 x 1 vac pipe (60mm)

20-315 x 1 (vac pipe connector I think)
20-346 x 1 (vac pipe)
20-315 x 1 (one way valve)

Many thanks,

Let me know how much I owe you, if they're available, of course. I'll email this over as well.

Kind regards,

Adam
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:30 am

JulesMartin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:54 am
MyBongoiscalledDave wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Cheers,

Adam
That's brilliant news glad it worked out for you. In the interim Halfords sell Vacuum hose in metre lengths. They also do a blue silicone pipe which is quite dear at £14 but is very flexible and will bend well without kinking. would get you by until the original parts arrive. you can just about see in a couple of the pics that I've used it for the spill return and another of the longer vacuum runs. It slips on easier than the standard hose as well which is useful as it's quite cramped and tight under the inlet manifold. The screen washer one way valve I used to replace the original green one also came from there. I know what we all think about Halfords but they will get you by at a pinch.
Awesome, Martin!

I'll head over this evening to grab some. The only reason I wanted OEM was because some of the diameters on the holes are different depending on where it's being plugged in.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 am

It wont fail an MOT for having a blanking plate fitted to the EGR, it should easily pass the smoke test and also how would the tester know the EGR was blanked??
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:02 am

Yep I agree with nth (sorry don't know your name) the only way it will fail if blanked off is if the examiner checks to see if there are blanking plates in place. I can't in all honesty see them going through lifting the centre consul and drivers seat to check and how many would know what to look for and where to look in any case :) :)
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:37 pm

If you do blank the EGR, to cover the legality, its worth pointing out that " It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use.

A vehicle might still pass the MOT visible smoke emissions test, which is primarily intended to identify vehicles that are in a very poor state of repair, whilst emitting illegal and harmful levels of fine exhaust particulate."

Bu the MOT testers don't usually check the EGR, they just measure emissions. Blanking the EGR has often reduced smoke/emissions, so there's no real need for them to check the EGR. :D
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services

Return to “Techie Stuff”