Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Low water sensor.

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:53 am

teenmal wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:40 am
Jsmith125 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:24 pm I was wandering whether a side entry float could be used in the header tank with a buzzer or led connected to indicate a low water situation. Here is a link to what I mean
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-St ... cdIx-QcuLw

Any thoughts as to whether this is a practical solution as its very easy to install and would cost under £10.

You could fit an ultrasonic sensor, no need to drill tank it simply fits on the outside of the tank and only cost a couple of quid.
Thats an interesting idea. Are there now LCA kits using a reliable ultrasound technology?
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 pm

plonkatronix wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am The sensor that comes with it is not the screw in type, you'll have to adapt it to be one, i bought the other type thinking it would work but didnt, wrong impedance so i used the stainless parts to cover my sensor, fitted on in the back of the head where thre two threaded holes are, and another in pas side no 4 cylinder, a switch allows me to choose which sensor to read from, the relay earths the required ecu wires to awitch the fans on full speed, i also have another 3way switch that allows manual fans of both speeds, along with led's to tell me when the fans are switched on by either manual, my mod or the ecu
That sounds like a real belt and braces setup and I'm quite envious. I'm still running-in the skimmed head and gasket and first big(ish) outing tomorrow to Herne Bay will give it it's biggest test since the rebuild. Have you by chance written up on here your wiring of the fans and LED's and switches. I really like the idea of being able to switch the fans manually. if stuck in traffic or a long hill where you know you are gong to push the temp up it must be great to pre-empt the situation.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
Jsmith125
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Jsmith125 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:46 pm

Excellent - the STC 1000 costs £6.51 from Singapore - its a no brainer really!

Also the ultr sonic sensor on the header tank is a great idea.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:07 pm

Nothing extra heard yet but see here https://www.facebook.com/geoff.mather.1 ... 8007012:78
However I know from other experience that getting a useful echo thru thick polythene can be interesting, the above doesn't appear to be a real tank merely a plastic bottle with a much thinner skin.....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Indeed, but polythene has a quite strong absorption factor as its flexible and quite heavily deadens the acoustic signal which means you need quite a lot of power and ideally a 1/4-wave acoustic matching section too help focusing and get good results without inserting the sensors inside the tank!
See here for quite a good right up on they type of problems https://www.ndk.com/en/sensor/ultrasonic/basic02.html
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 am

plonkatronix wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:04 pm
JulesMartin wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 pm
plonkatronix wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am The sensor that comes with it is not the screw in type, you'll have to adapt it to be one, i bought the other type thinking it would work but didnt, wrong impedance so i used the stainless parts to cover my sensor, fitted on in the back of the head where thre two threaded holes are, and another in pas side no 4 cylinder, a switch allows me to choose which sensor to read from, the relay earths the required ecu wires to awitch the fans on full speed, i also have another 3way switch that allows manual fans of both speeds, along with led's to tell me when the fans are switched on by either manual, my mod or the ecu
That sounds like a real belt and braces setup and I'm quite envious. I'm still running-in the skimmed head and gasket and first big(ish) outing tomorrow to Herne Bay will give it it's biggest test since the rebuild. Have you by chance written up on here your wiring of the fans and LED's and switches. I really like the idea of being able to switch the fans manually. if stuck in traffic or a long hill where you know you are gong to push the temp up it must be great to pre-empt the situation.
Hacking into the ecu loom to send any false unexpected and deeply untested signals is not something I would advise anyone to mess with, one wrong move and you could fry your ECU, with that said... in plain English, it's not my problem if you fry your ecu trying to copy my doings, however I can say that what's been done it's quite simple, the signal's from the ecu to switch the either of the fan relays on is just an earth, earth the black/orange for speed 1 and then also black/green for speed 2 if i remember correctly, you can always double check the colors and trace it back from the relays, pop your engine temp sensor on and off and feel for the fan relays click if you have to. the only clever bit here is the switch and diodes, another relay and leds as switch position 2 needs to short both orange and green to earth and position 1 just short the orange
Thanks for the info really helpful. I might leave that until really happy that all is well with the cooling system. Good to know what to earth out though in an emergency.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:11 pm

g8dhe wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:07 pm Nothing extra heard yet but see here https://www.facebook.com/geoff.mather.1 ... 8007012:78
However I know from other experience that getting a useful echo thru thick polythene can be interesting, the above doesn't appear to be a real tank merely a plastic bottle with a much thinner skin.....

Hi Geoff, the poster has updated some results just scroll down . cheers.
Jsmith125
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Jsmith125 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:08 pm

Found this thermometer which i've glued the thermocouple onto the header tank to give an indication if anything goes amiss. Not sure how useful this is but its a quick and easy job. See link https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/312874927940?c ... =137722329

Return to “Techie Stuff”