Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JimmyB
Junior Bongonaut

Timing belt change

Post by JimmyB » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi forum helpers,
I am looking for some info.
I am going to get the timing belt done on my '98 2.5TD autobox, at a trusted garage, and have heard it is worth getting the water pump done at the same time to save possible labour costs at another time should the waterpump fail.

What are your opinions on this and is there anything else that should get some attention while the mechanics are in about that area?

Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Timing belt change

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Yes, definitely. :wink:

And that will bring in nice fresh coolant. 8)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:52 pm

The belts are for the alternator and water pump (dual one) and a single one to the air con. See http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html

Timing isn't done by belts on the diesel.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:05 am

g8dhe wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:52 pm The belts are for the alternator and water pump (dual one) and a single one to the air con. See http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html

Timing isn't done by belts on the diesel.
Geoff, I appreciate what you are saying about the alternator, waterpump and air con belts but surely there is also a timing (cam) belt on the diesel engine as they are on sale in the Bongo Shop and other Bongo spares dealers. There is also a Fact Sheet on how to change the belt and tensioner. There have also been posts about damage that can be done to the diesel engine if the belt breaks as it is a non tolerance engine.

Am I misunderstanding or misreading something here?
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 am

Its a chain inside the engine itself;
see here http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... no=.html#7 the cover is described but nit the chain itself, never heard of one ever being replaced.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:53 am

THere is indeed a belt on the diesel (and on the petrol Bongos). The diesel Cam/Timing Belt is shown as 12-205 on http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... 02.html#26.

The cam belt kit (includes belt, tensioner, spring & fitting instructions) can be found in the Bongoland shop at https://bongoland.co.uk/product-category/belts/

The waterpump is at https://bongoland.co.uk/product/water-pump-2-5-td/

Last date/time for ordering before holiday break is Friday 20th at 12 noon.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:08 am

Now you have me intrigued Ian, the diagrams of the diesel engine talk about a chain ? Others in the past have also reffered to a chain ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 am

Don't want to hijack the thread, but it's interesting that manufacturers moved away from chains because they were heavy an noisy in comparison to a rubber belt. I kind of get the point with a petrol - but on a diesel :?

It also seemed a bit more backward when you consider both the 6 cylinder motors are 'interference' types - broken belt and internal parts crash together causing damage. Just an observation.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:19 am

Studying the diagrams and reading the posts the terms both seem to be used interchangeably both belt and chain appear so maybe its down to translation, but yes it does appear to be a belt under the cover!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:42 am

Definitely a belt I've just changed mine. I guess its down to semantics in that the fuel "timing" is controlled internally whilst the pump to cam "timing" is controlled by a belt behind that black cover. for what it's worth if you have the finances and you have a garage to do the work for you, I'd replace everything forward of the cam belt. So belt kit which includes the belt, tensioner and spring, the two alternator/water pump belts, the water pump and A/C belt. That said none of the drive belts or the water pump need to be removed to change the belt. I think you could be more than doubling the labour charge. but you will have the peace of mind of knowing that all of the above has been done and should keep you trouble free in regard to these items for a good few thousand miles.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:31 pm

The maxim that you should always change the water pump when changing the cambelt only applies to engines where the cambelt drives the water pump. This is because the tension on a cambelt places a high sideways load on the water pump bearing and if it seizes it snaps the belt or throws it off. This is not helped by some very dodgy designs out there that practically encourage this behaviour like the Alfa/GM JTDM diesels for example.
On our Bongos, only the 2.0 petrol drives the water pump off the cambelt so what I would do with the diesel is check the pump for bearing float and that it feels right and leave it alone if OK.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:03 pm

I agree with Bonneville, in that the cam belt does not drive the water pump but the OP wanted to know what else could be done whilst the garage are in that area. The cam belt can be replaced without any disturbance to the water pump save the slackening off of the drive belts. and visa versa changing the water pump does not require any interference to the cam belt. In that I think we can all agree that the cam belt design is quite good on the Bongo. in my past life as a mechanic it became the norm to change the water pump and timing belt on any engine where the timing belt drove the water pump regardless of signs of wear of the water pump. As I said earlier if there is no issue with cost then whilst the mechanic is "in the area" you may as well get all the belts changed along with the water pump. For me, as I would be doing all the work myself I would go with the old maxim of if it ain't broke.....
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
JimmyB
Junior Bongonaut

Post by JimmyB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:08 pm

Once again, many thanks to you gurus out there. I yelped and the members came to my aid.
Not the first and certainly won't be the last. :D :D

Cheers

Return to “Techie Stuff”