grinding noise help

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

borisbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

grinding noise help

Post by borisbongo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm

i thought i was needing new pads and disks but had them checked at the garage and was told there fine plenty of wear still on them.
the grinding happens only once or twice a day and only when i brake and steer at the same time never when straight imy first thought was uneven wear but garage says there ok.

thanks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: grinding noise help

Post by teenmal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:30 pm

What vehicle do you have 2wd or 4wd ??
borisbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by borisbongo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 pm

4wd 2.5 diesel
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:00 pm

borisbongo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 pm 4wd 2.5 diesel

It would be worthwhile having the CV joints checked.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:17 pm

This could take some time getting to the bottom of it. does the noise go if you stop braking whilst still steering have you noticed? I'm sure the garage would have checked whilst they were looking at the pads but this could point to worn swivel joints or ball joints. whilst the discs will run true in the straight ahead position it is possible for them to run out if there is any play in any other part of the suspension when turning. Sometimes you can get pads that wear revealing a particularly hard part of the compound that can make a grinding noise. My wife's Corsa will occasionally give out an awful grinding noise sounding like the pads are down to the metal but if I strip them down and put on fresh copperslip to the squeal shims and caliper sliders the noise goes.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
borisbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by borisbongo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 pm

the noise does stop when steering without pressing the brake it only sometimes happens when braking and steering at the same time.
the garage did take it on a test run but found nothing he thought it might have been the hand brake shoes but i dont know why he thought this.but he couldnt find anything wrong anyway but as it only happens 1 or 2 times in a day chances are it wouldnt have happened when he was testing it anyway.would the ball joints only do this while steering as its never happened on the straight.
i can feel the shudder/vibration through the foot pedal
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am

This is sounding more like a suspension problem if you can feel it through the pedal. did the garage actually take the pads out and inspect them or just confirm that they have enough "meat" left on them. could be that a pad has cracked or become contaminated in some way. if a ball joint or other component is wearing it may be allowing the disc to run out of true when subjected to the braking forces. maybe get the front wheels off and have a good look with a bright inspection light for any signs of metal to metal contact. don't think it will be the handbrake shoes if you are feeling it through the pedal
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:28 am

If you stop and put full steering lock on in either direction, and drive in a tight circle - any noises then?
borisbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by borisbongo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Alkers wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:28 am If you stop and put full steering lock on in either direction, and drive in a tight circle - any noises then?
no just when using brake
borisbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by borisbongo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:43 pm

JulesMartin wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am This is sounding more like a suspension problem if you can feel it through the pedal. did the garage actually take the pads out and inspect them or just confirm that they have enough "meat" left on them. could be that a pad has cracked or become contaminated in some way. if a ball joint or other component is wearing it may be allowing the disc to run out of true when subjected to the braking forces. maybe get the front wheels off and have a good look with a bright inspection light for any signs of metal to metal contact. don't think it will be the handbrake shoes if you are feeling it through the pedal

it was halfords and yeah they took everything apart and measured what i had left on pads and disks they gave me a full report.

if it was ball joint dont have any symptoms no pulling to side hard to steer ect googled symtoms
Navybongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Navybongo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Did you find out what was causing the issue here. Mine has just started very similar.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:13 pm

I think there could be a rust build up on the discs probably on the inside and as the pads wear down it grinds a bit when you corner and brake probably slight wear in the bearings makes the wheel stand up a bit or lean a bit making the contact

Return to “Techie Stuff”