Head Gasket removal ancillary bits Help!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: Head Gasket removal ancillary bits Help!!

Post by JulesMartin » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:30 pm

I have had a quick look and it does look a real joy to do. the transverse metal pipe looks ok but may take your advice and replace with a full rubber replacement. I was toying with the idea of using a plastic Tee piece and rubber hose to replace the one that is leaking but with the cooling system being so temperamental as it is thought better of it as I don't want to add any more issues/airlocks into the mix that has already been going on for weeks and weeks. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:28 pm

My transverse pipe was looking suspect down by the exposed end near rear heater. The other end of it is up under the passenger seat and doesn’t get all the road spray etc on it. No doubt you have read about the plastic inserts that come out of the rear heater matrix? They are a weak point too. Many folks just do away with the rear heater without any issues.
Have fun, it’ll be worth it in end.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:15 pm

So with Christmas out the way and to Herold in the new year we are going to take the bongo down to Herne Bay Kent 60 miles for its first outing since the head rebuild and new metal heater pipe. fingers crossed all goes well, will let you know how it all goes. Happy new year to one and all.
Martin
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:33 pm

Fingers crossed for you. Hopefully the Bongo doesn’t get too hot ‘n’ bothered [-o<
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:01 am

By George I think we've done it!! Round trip of 120 miles yesterday to Herne Bay in Kent along the M2 up and down long hills. The temperature on digital gauge on the rear of the head peeked at 103 and that was pushing it deliberately up a long hill. average for the day was 95. Checked this morning no pressure in the expansion tank and water level just on max. Well done one and all we got there in the end =D> =D> =D>
Martin
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:10 am

Brilliant news. =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”