Continuing starting problems with diesel

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Continuing starting problems with diesel

Post by root-n-5th » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Hello all,

I posted about starting issues a while back and have taken the suggestions on board. What happens is that if I turn off the van and restart it will fire up immediately, but if I leave it for a few hours it will give an initial chug chug as if it is going to start, then it will take about 6 or 7 five second bursts to start it. A cloud of white smoke is produced from the exhaust, it runs quite rough for a few seconds, then runs perfectly.

I have replace the glow plugs, the fuel filter and there are no leaks or smell of diesel inside the engine.

Any idea what I can invest my money in next to solve this issue?

Many thanks,
Sam.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Re: Continuing starting problems with diesel

Post by Merlot man » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Hello Sam
I've had the same problems as you up until yesterday .
I did like you , replace the plugs , filter etc and if anything things were getting worse !
Then I thought about the bleed screw on the filter housing , down by the side , leaking in air and causing my problems so I took it off and fitted a heavy rubber washer on to the end and refitted the screw . I left the bus outside overnight and started it this morning in 3 degrees c and she fired first time ,I'd say half a turn with no coughing or white smoke :D result ....at least so far !
The washer came off a sheet metal screw for fitting roofing etc and it has a steel washer with a rubber washer underneath
This is a cheap fix and worth a try I'd say , I feel air was getting in and drawing the fuel back so when your cranking your getting fuel and air until she bleeds herself then too much fuel , hence white smoke ........maybe , but worth a punt
Hope this helps and keep us informed as to progress
Brian
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks Brian!

That’s a very quick response and a great suggestion. I will definitely have a look into this when I get a chance. Is the screw easy to find?

Cheers,
Sam
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Yes it's on the side off the filter housing , I think it's a 12mm hex with a screw driver slot
Brian

Return to “Techie Stuff”