ABS warning light and diagnostic question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

lucklesspedestrian
Bongonaut

ABS warning light and diagnostic question

Post by lucklesspedestrian » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi

The ABS warning light (4W/ABS) has just come on the day before my daughter's 2001 V6 is due for it's MOT (timing eh!)

I checked the rear brake lights but sadly(?) they're both working (inc high level) so not that.

I was wondering if my local garage who are doing the MOT need any special equipment to read fault codes or would the average local village garage typically have what's needed to plug in and read? Also on our vintage of Bongo where is the plug located to connect up to the diagnostics?

Wish us luck for tomorrow!

As always thanks in advance

Steve
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: ABS warning light and diagnostic question

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 am

If its a 2001 vehicle then a wire link and a bulb will be required to read the error codes and the information here http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm only later versions had the now standard OBDII interface.

Most ABS errors come down to faulty connectors or damaged sensors. There are 4 sensors one on each wheel to measure rotation speed hence they are exposed to all the weather and abrasion that comes from being mounted underneath the vehicle and exposed to the elements. Its worth opening each connector and giving them a clean and a good dose of WD40 to help clear away moisture.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
lucklesspedestrian
Bongonaut

Post by lucklesspedestrian » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks for that guys. It failed the MOT as anticipated but the garage didn't have time to do the detective work for the ABS repair so it's booked in for next Tues.

One of the other things it failed on was a blown rear fog lamp bulb. I know a blown rear brake bulb can trigger the ABS light, don't suppose a didgt rear fog lamp can do the same can it?

Clutching at straws here I know!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Wasn't aware that the Bongo used co-ax for the cable ? The connectors aren't designed for co-ax and the cable externally looks like normal twin wire.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:52 pm

No the ABS only operates during braking and it watches the voltage and continuity on the brake lights for operation, hence why LED's will cause the ABS to fail as there isn't any/sufficient continuity to earth/0v when replaced or all the brake lights have failed. Fog lamp has no affect at all.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”