Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

more overheating

Post by Safraneman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:09 am

“What would you do next?
Friend bought an imported 96 bongo with 100,000 miles on clock
After a few thousand miles of local use and a few long runs of 200 miles plus
The expansion tank boiled over – took 1.5 litre of water to top up.
Vehicle was transported to the original supplying dealer
A sniff test was done, but no cylinder had leak reported
the scavenge fan was replaced and system was refilled with coolant
The separate six month “insurance” style warranty had now expired, was not renewed. A similar mileage later and the expansion tank boiled over,
Very unsure what to do next, owner had great faith in the supplying garage”
DAFT on loan
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: more overheating

Post by g8dhe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 pm

Welcome to the group.

Basically you have a leak in the sealed cooling system and gases are getting into the system causing an air-lock and hence an overheating, if its a diesel engine then this can be bad news.

Its essential that the leak is found, it could be seals on the waterpump, could be a pinhole in a rubber pipe, a leak at a joint where metal is rusting, it could be a cracked head from the first overheat which only opens up when hot.

Best bet would be to take it back to the original garage initially (especially of they are a Bongo savvy garage) otherwise take it to a garage with a reputation for being aware of the Bongo's cooling system. If your a club member there is a list of recommended garages.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Thank you for your instructive replies. Normally I would very keen to return a vehicle to the supplying garage,
But what typically goes wrong with an old Bongo a few months after an overheating repair ? in the summer?
The supplying dealership had it for weeks to rectify this fault and have a lot more knowledge about Bongos than me, the fault has returned a few months and barely a thousand miles later.
Having been paid a premium price for the vehicle I would have expected a better explanation than a replacement scavenge fan, which after hours of research into the extensive information available on this forum, has not come up as solution to overheating.
I am not feeling confident with my myriad of hobby mechaniching experiences but meagre Bongo knowledge begin to tackle an overheating 1996 bongo with 110,000 miles on clock, imported in 2012 or before according to its MOT history
DAFT on loan
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Safraneman wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:07 pmBut what typically goes wrong with an old Bongo a few months after an overheating repair ? in the summer?
it could be seals on the waterpump, could be a pinhole in a rubber pipe, a leak at a joint where metal is rusting, it could be a cracked head from the first overheat which only opens up when hot.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:17 pm

If you can't find the problem, perhaps your friend could phone the supplying garage and see what they suggest? They might have another look at it.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Did you bleed the system after topping up ?
Did the garage bleed the system after working on it ?
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:23 pm

I am going to bleed the cooling system tomorrow (with help)
and then go leak hunting
many thanks
DAFT on loan
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Yes but....the question was...did you or the garage bleed it ?
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 pm

I have now bled the system on the diesel with help, took 40 min before thermostat opened
bled using adapted jug method -thank you- with string to upper throttle linkage.
test drove, mere whiff of light colour smoke - or was that in our imagination...
but it was chilli!
Next day, coolant still at screw height
Then pressure tested cooling system using adaptor on expansion tank and hand pump to one bar
hose under drivers seat from engine to radiator expanded to twice its proper size
this will be replaced - wonder how long a radiator hose takes to fail?
No leaks observed.
Am i right in assuming that if the rear side matrix was leaking that this would drain to the apparent drain hole below?
Test drove temp - gauge sits at 11 o'clock
Plan now return the Bongo by truck to original supplying garage, the plan for a sniff test fell through
Will request replacement hose be fitted and a new MOT
the vehicle was not supplied with an up to date MOT - this surprised me.
any other suggestions much appreciated
no names, no pack drill in process at present
DAFT on loan
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:40 am

Is this is the clue I am looking for?
guess what - I am in the process of replacing the top hose from the engine to the radiator as it has failed a pressure test and is bulging

coolant loss
Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:15 pm
Mine did this when (as it turned out on stripdown) the head had cracked. One indicator might be if very soon after starting from cold the top hose goes hard/pressured, indicating something other than coolant expansion (i.e. cylinder gases) is pressurising the system
DAFT on loan
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:44 am

This 1996 Diesel with 110,000 miles has now done a further careful 100 miles of short runs of around 20 miles each, some hills, front fans came on, tank still maintaining level.
new header tank cap and hose fitted, second bleeding - this antifreeze is getting expensive now, can I reuse it?
Still cannot find a probable cause of overheating issue. currently waiting a sniff test etc by a mobile Bongo mechanic as the MOT station wont fit customer supplied parts - not even the oil filter (which I could have done when I was under there - had I known of this other change in garage practice) - turning into a grumpy old man here.

Is this rear fog light bodge still valid? Just been for an MOT and they said no - has to be a separate rear lamp - one on order,
Cannot believe that the supplying dealer supplied the vehicle with this bodge - when did the regulations change, or is this my (fourth) garage's unique interpretation? Needless to say that the MOT station is NOT the supplying garage - would not touch the supplying dealer with a barge pole now, vehicle was supplied with a cracked spare space saver tyre - the lowering mechansim was so stiff it was almost seized solid, took 20 min with WD 40 aerosol tube to free it off and then lubricate it properly. Missing paint from the ATF roof - which the supplying dealer did subsequently rectify once we saw it from an upstairs window (!) after it had left the "dealers" - {could substitute a less polite word here} forecourt
They had the cheek to charge £150 for parts (not listed) whilst the vehicle was in for overheating repair under warranty, which then expired (and was not renewed -or that option offered during the SIX weeks they had to road test and repair it}
Have asked separately to consider having this supplying garage, with six Bongos on its forecourt and other Japanese imports which they import to Scotland and convert into campervans] being removed from the members garage list?

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 am
Forum: Techie Stuff
Topic: Change reversing light to fog light, can someone provide a quick guide please
Replies: 20
Views: 2128
Re: Change reversing light to fog light, can someone provide a quick guide please
Hmm, one does wonder. :roll:

Simple job, though.

Spur from dipped head lamps to a switch with indicator light, run wire to rear lamp, disconnect wire from reversing light, fit red bulb and connect new wire. 30/45 Mins, give or take. :)
DAFT on loan
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Have fitted TM 2 coolant alarm and digital thermometer - ah the joys of worry free motoring
for all of 45 miles - then the sediment warning light came on!
Cough and splutter and engine died - after third re start made it to gas station
An hour later- fuel filter cleaned out, refitted and on the road again
Must remember to keep the sediment in the tank rather than in the engine
reminded to keep plenty of fuel in the tank
Fortunate that I had a chain wrench and a torch or three on board
A few helpful phone calls kept me on the right path
many many thanks
Ready to buy Winter Tyres as the ten year old Doblo has lost 4th gear at 90k
DAFT on loan
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:47 pm

***** Drat ever and double drat - whoever thought up the "splodge test" has come up with a real beauty,
took me an hour and a half to remove the glo plugs the first time - big black splodge from No 4 Cylinder
Twelve hours later did it again, in 3/4 hr but cracked a tiny wee vacuum pipe
Sadly there was my early present from Santa
a nice shiny glistening patch in the middle of No 4 Cylinders splodge!
Ah just as well the Doblo now has a new 4th gear synchro for my Festive Season Motoring
Aubergine will just have to wait till 2020
That Exhaust manifold stud hiccup is rather putting me off tacking replacing the head myself
No doubt some festive cheer will bolster my confidence...
Christmas Greetings to all who produced these amazing fact sheets and
those who have have helped encourage me on this journey so far
Much appreciated!
Cheers Andy
DAFT on loan
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:06 pm

Sorry to hear about your Bongo problems.

Just being nosy, would you pm me the Bongo garage name? Wondering if it's the same one we had problems with.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:55 pm

Bongo Spares, found bore damaged too, cyl head cracked at exhaust port no 3
wish I had made the leap from failing top front hose, and two boil ups, straight to a splodge test and cyl head replacement last summer!
Seems like the useless Fantastic caravans at Dairsie Autopoint did a double dodge - bet they knew fine that the head had gone but did not want to claim on the insurance warranty we had paid them to cover us against this possibility!! Just takes the biscuit.
So now a two grand + bill
They vehicle is now in safe hands too - at Rishworth they discovered something that Carron Motor Company near Grangemouth had dodged at the November MOT test! (instead Carron insisted in replacing a perfectly good reversing light conversion to a red dangly,)
I have to admit that the drive down to Sowerby bridge was very relaxing, thanks to the Hadyn Alarm
But my, the anxiety every time that the alarm indicated that another wee coolant top up was needed, still makes me break out in a cold sweat.
The Digital temperature gauge was brilliant, but I still dressed in T shirt and shorts on a cold January Sunday and soldiered down the A1 at a modest pace with all the heaters on - just in case....
Just so glad I didn't tackle the head job myself, discovering the ruined bore would have killed me.
DAFT on loan

Return to “Techie Stuff”