Oil drain valve

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Telsown
Junior Bongonaut

Oil drain valve

Post by Telsown » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi all,
I have recently come across a couple of valves that claim to make draining of engine oil easier, cleaner and faster.
The two products in question are: Stahlbus and Quick Valve UK. Is there anyone out there that has used either of these or in fact any other that might be available and what your opinions are. :?:
Thanks.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Oil drain valve

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:57 pm

I can't see any disadvantage, but I haven't used them.

The other thing to consider is a Pela Pump, that way you don't have to get underneath. 8)
Telsown
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Telsown » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks Bob for your reply,

Just to ask, have you used the Pela and was it successful? (my Bongo is the 2.5 TD).

I read a review in which the user said it was not for every vehicle, stating that on the VW Passat the tubing on the Pela only went as far as the
dipstick, consequently he was only able to extract 4 litres!

Cheers

Terry
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Yes, I have a Pela and use it for the six month oil change, annual service with Allan's.

It works well but you must have the engine up to full temp. A spin round the block won't do it as the cool oil is too thick to suck up.

Remove the dipstick and insert the Pela tube until you hear/feel it touch the sump bottom, then pull it back a smidge, say, 1/4".

Pump away, I normaly stop at 4 ltrs, pour into a container, then draw out the last 2. The rings on the round container are at 1 ltr each so it's easy to see how much you've got out.

Some will say you get a tiddly bit more out by removing the sump plug but I'm not convinced such a tiny bit makes any real difference.

Hope that helps. 8)
Telsown
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Telsown » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Nice One Bob,

I will seriously consider the 'Pela Pump'.
How you have described it really is a great help to me as like a lot of us older Bongo owners its never easy getting down and under!
I am definitely on board with this. I am so pleased I asked the question before jumping straight in with the drain valve.

Thanks again for your input.

Terry =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:29 pm

You're most welcome. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”