Electrical Issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Nick2810
Apprentice Bongonaut

Electrical Issue

Post by Nick2810 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi,

I was hoping to pick someone’s brains re an electrical problem we have. At the weekend we had to jump start our bongo as the starter battery was dead. Since then the van electrics for the fridge, spot lights and pump only work when it’s connected to mains power. Previously we could switch it to leisure battery on the control panel in the van and they would all work (the leisure battery is only 2 months old and is showing fully charged). I got a new starter battery today thinking that may have been the issue but still can’t get 12v power to the habitable area in the van to power the fridge, lights, water pump etc. It’s like you just flick the switch to leisure battery on the control panel and nothing happens. Does any one have any ideas what this could be ? I have checked the line fuses for the both the leisure and starter batteries and visually they don’t appear to have blown.

Many thanks,

Nick
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Electrical Issue

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:30 pm

I wonder if the jump start has blown the fuseable link?

A search on here should reveal it's location (sorry, I don't know), or likely one of our experts will help soon. 8)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 pm

The LB is charged in parallel with the SB via what is called a Split Charge Relay (SCR), this relay has a connection to both batteries via fuses which should be located close to each battery and then wires directly to the SCR. If the batteries were low then its quite common for the surge of current between batteries to blow one of the two fuses which then means that the LB doesn't get charged at all. Check both fuses and if one has blown then replace BOTH fuses as the other one will be damaged as well and is likely to blow at the slightest provocation at the most inconvenient time!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:10 am

Thanks Geoff. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”