Starting Problem 2l Petrol

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Debs and David
Tribal Elder

Starting Problem 2l Petrol

Post by Debs and David » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 pm

Bongo has failed to start on 3 occasions, it turns over like it’s going to start but doesn’t. The garage have had van for a week and it has started every day for them. They said they need it to fail for them so they know where to start looking, but said it might be the camshaft sensor, which would cause this kind of problem. Now I have lost all faith in it in case we go out in van and it fails to start.

Thanks

David
Debs & David

You Need Degas to Make De Van Gogh
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: Starting Problem 2l Petrol

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:40 am

I presume they meant the Crankshaft sensor. It's rare for these to fail unless it is damaged in some way or is covered in oil. they are only a pickup. may be worth removing it and giving the pickup surface a clean. You say its failed three times before what have you done to get it started on those occasions or has it just picked up and started. you have my sympathy these sort of intermittent problems can be a real pain in the bongo. I'm not sure of the layout of the 2ltr engine but if it's possible to fit it, buy a spark plug tester from halfords and stick it in so that next time it does fail you'll be able to see if the plugs are sparking or not thus eliminating all of the ignition side of things at least. https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools ... er-in-line
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted

Return to “Techie Stuff”