Winter pack wiring

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

plonkatronix
Bongolier

Winter pack wiring

Post by plonkatronix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:41 am

Can anyone please explain EXACTLY what happens when said switch is on, there is a light green wire from the switch that gets 12v when on, yet at the winterpack control solenoid we have a red and black... Black is ignition live and red is NOT earth, neither of these change status when switch changed to on/off.
I have done away with the exhaust side of it and blocked off the vacuum supply to it with no issues, but I want to use the wiring for something far more useful and interesting, yes i could cut green wire and route it over the hump to the pas. side but i still need to know what else is in the winter pack equation, the battery share up front normally associated with winter pack does not connect to this exhaust system or said switch so what else could there be?
Any ideas please
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Protect Yourself, IP BLACKLIST freely available@ http://plonkatronix.com
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Winter pack wiring

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:02 pm

There isn't anything in the Wiring diagrams I've ever seen on the Winter Pack. As far as I can guess there is just the switched supply to exhaust valve to allow the vacuum thru. Black is normally earth in the Bongo, Black/Red, Blue or Blue/Red is normally 12 volts.
Geoff
97 V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
plonkatronix
Bongolier

Post by plonkatronix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:41 pm

Appreciate the reply, I assumed the same, but as mentioned previously the wire colours change, I was wondering if it was linked to the variable resistor sensor on the egr in some way... When fully warmed up winter pack would no longer be required so could so that could disabled it maybe... It's 100% definitely liked to something else... I really don't want to unpick a bongo loom :^o
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Colour codes in looms don't have a standard at all, as you go thru connectors colours change for no reason, however its rare for a colour to change within a loom even if there is a in-line component, but not always the case. Worse points are final connections from loom to devices where often there is no commonality in colours, the device colours change between batches!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
plonkatronix
Bongolier

Post by plonkatronix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 pm

plonkatronix wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:41 pm
... I really don't want to unpick a bongo loom :^o
Well at least you all know what I have been upto today!
Cut's on hands, tape everywhere...

following the light green wire on the switch that sends power somewhere... Is actually Lgreen/yellow band and this goes off to the ecu, unknown pin no. But it's 6th wire in from left on the top row as your looking at the socket with the label on top, anyone have a schematic diagram for the ecu maybe? So dead-end on that route for now...

Following the other end, we have a red wire that becomes live when at pos2 on key, and the black wire is black and white, I have traced the black and white...it merges in with the same wire that powers the fuelpump shut off solenoid (also Blk/w)... Just that red wire to trace back later, although it too probably goes to the ecu
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Ah! I've often looked at that switch on the diagram and wondered ..... now I know...not sure why I never investigated it!

and the only Red wire comes into the ECU top right B2-02 connector, but the translation read "Warm Air Switch" which never made much sense to me! Now I know :-)

After 10+ years you still learn something new ;-)
Last edited by g8dhe on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
plonkatronix
Bongolier

Post by plonkatronix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks for diagram, I will have to look later when on pc, this phone is about as obsolete as the mk1
There is more to it... The light in the switch, it is not connected to livr to just say it's on, it also goes back to the ecu so may represent a warning/feature of its own...who knows what's going on in the ecu program, i took the lid off to have a nose and decided I've had enough epromming in my life and promptly closed it back up... There's no need for any of that in reality... Just 1 needed
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Yes I decided early on that without having any knowledge of ECU design and coding for vehicles I wouldn't go inside the ECU, despite George supplying me with several ECU's! Most of the other modules I've done, but a few others have made attempts to get into the ECU but no definitive results, with multi-layer boards you have to be very motivated to try to work out the circuit!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
plonkatronix
Bongolier

Post by plonkatronix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 pm

I luckily don't need to go in there too deep, i just followed the wire/track in question that went to a transistor and off to an ic and that was enough for me ;)

Once i have also established the wires for the switch led, i will post a picture of what to cut and join for anyone else who wishes to use these wires and switch,.
I have a twin alternator mod and a huge relay now where winterpack was and wish to utilise the winterpack wires by there for switching the relay
plonkatronix
Bongolier

Post by plonkatronix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Since taking out the loom i have found some unidentified object's... I will post pics later, maybe you might be kind enough to shed some light as too what these are please, appreciate your help on this issue :wink:
plonkatronix
Bongolier

Post by plonkatronix » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:16 am

The light green is the one that tells the ECU the dashboard winter pack switch is on.
The red must supply a ground/earth to the winter pack solenoid from the ECU when triggered (I never did get mine to trigger!), the IGN/ACC live is already present at the solenoid on the shared black (randomly spurs of from 1-4 blacks just before going over the hump).
For what I want, I have simply cut these wires off the ecu and joined them neatly with solder/heatshrink, this way I can make use of an otherwise unused switch to power a low power relay on under the seat without routing new wires (no it's not an ejector seat)

For safe removal of winter pack, have removed everything from the vacuum pipe coming around the front of the engine (not the big vertical one [-X ) the rubber pipe, and cut shorter and a very tight fit bolt used to plug it (used bolt with half thread half shank for sure seal) refit the sprig clip and secured the now 3" plugged tube, all the rest has been removed including the metal leftover pipe, solenoid and it's rather odd design pipe work.
I can also confirm in case your are wondering... the flap/valve inside the exhaust will not close on its own i can assure you as that spring is seriously hard to close, you can safely remove the lot down to the exhaust.

hope this nonsense helps someone in the future!